29.1702, Qs: New Survey/Maps of Variation in American English

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 20 17:26:21 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1702. Fri Apr 20 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1702, Qs: New Survey/Maps of Variation in American English

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:25:46
From: Bert Vaux [bv230 at cam.ac.uk]

Dear fellow linguists:
I've just released a short survey of (mainly lexical) variation in American
English, and hope you will consider taking it. As with all of my previous
surveys (whose results you can find at
http://www.tekstlab.uio.no/cambridge_survey), my goal is to develop a broader
and more up-to-date of regional variation in contemporary English. I'm also
hoping to use the results of this survey to refine a localization algorithm
that Nick Longenbaugh (MIT) and I are currently working on, which we hope will
ultimately be able to identify a speaker's place of origin with reasonable
accuracy on the basis of c. 20 questions.
The survey is short (you can answer anywhere between 30 and 60 questions) and
completely free. No registration of sensitive personal details is required
(just age, gender, and zip code), there are no ads, and we make no money from
it, etc.
One nice feature of the survey is that after each question that you answer we
provide a heat map of the areas in the U.S. where speakers are most likely to
use your form. Warning: we don't currently provide a summary assessment at the
end of the survey--that's what we're working to provide once we have enough
Here's the link to the survey: www.dialectsofenglish.com. I hope you'll
consider helping the dialectological cause by taking the survey, and
encouraging all of your American-English-speaking friends, family, students,
and colleagues to as well!

Thanks,
Bert Vaux

Subject Language(s): English (eng)