29.1767, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Philosophy of Lang, Pragmatics, Psycholing/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 24 20:59:52 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1767. Tue Apr 24 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1767, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Philosophy of Lang, Pragmatics, Psycholing/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:59:38
From: Sara Vilar-Lluch [S.Vilar-Lluch at uea.ac.uk]
Subject: Uniting Two Perspectives on Mental Illness: Philosophy and Linguistics

Full Title: Uniting Two Perspectives on Mental Illness: Philosophy and Linguistics

Date: 13-Sep-2018 - 14-Sep-2018
Location: Colchester (Essex), United Kingdom
Contact Person: Sara Vilar-Lluch
Meeting Email: S.Vilar-Lluch at uea.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.uea.ac.uk/arts-humanities/graduate-school/news-and-events/uniting-two-perspectives

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 04-May-2018

Meeting Description:

Uniting Two Perspectives on Mental Illness: Philosophy and Linguistics
University of Essex, 13-14 September 2018

Mental illness has long been of interest to researchers in the humanities,
including philosophy, linguistics, sociology, history and politics. In a
domain where psychologists and psychiatrists have focused on identifying
interventions and developing explanatory models, scholars in the humanities
have preferred to explore broad conceptual and cultural questions. The aim of
this conference is to promote a dialogue between two of these disciplines,
philosophy and linguistics.

Keynote speakers:

Dr. Nelya Koteyko (Reader in Applied Linguistics; Queen Mary, University of
London)
Prof. Tim Thornton (Professor of Philosophy and Mental Health; University of
central Lancashire)

Final Call for Papers:

Uniting Two Perspectives on Mental Illness: Philosophy and Linguistics
University of Essex 13 – 14 September 2018.

Deadline for Submissions (Extended): 4 May.

Important: Please make sure you receive a confirmation message when completing
the submission, otherwise the abstract might not have been received.
Alternatively, anonymised abstracts can be send to humgrad.enquiry at uea.ac.uk .

Mental illness has long been of interest to researchers in the humanities,
including philosophy, linguistics, sociology, history and politics. In a
domain where psychologists and psychiatrists have focused on identifying
interventions and developing explanatory models, scholars in the humanities
have preferred to explore broad conceptual and cultural questions.

For instance:

- Where do notions like “mental health” and “mental illness” come from? What
can we learn from their history?
- How do specific diagnostic categories emerge?
- How does psychiatric language shape the way we think about ourselves and
each other?
- How should we understand the relationship between mental illness and
personal responsibility?
- How does stigma about mental illness function?
- How can we distinguish illness and disorder from other kinds of difference?
- To what extent can psychiatry be considered a science?

The aim of this conference is to demonstrate that a dialogue between two of
these disciplines – philosophy and linguistics – can help shed light on these
important issues.

With this in mind, we specifically encourage contributions that bring together
methods and ideas from both of these fields. We also welcome submissions from
philosophers who are specifically interested in discussing their work with
linguists, and vice versa.

Suitable topics include, but are not limited to:

- Diagnosis and treatment ideologies
- Mental illness in institutional discourse (e.g. clinical texts, law,
government policy)
- Models of mental illness (e.g. medical, social)
- Feminist and minorities perspectives on psychiatry
- Conceptualisation and portrayal of specific conditions
- Diagnosis and self-understanding
- Verbal and non-verbal communication in neurodiverse communities (e.g. autism
communities)
- Mental illness in clinical, education, workplace, or family settings
- Mental illness in the media (e.g. newspapers, magazines, films, cartoons,
advertisements)
- Identity and political representation (e.g. the neurodiversity movement, mad
pride)
- Stigma and anti-stigma campaigns

Abstracts of up to 300 words (references excluded) should be submitted via the
form provided in our webpage:
http://www.uea.ac.uk/arts-humanities/graduate-school/news-and-events/uniting-t
wo-perspectives

All abstracts will go through a double blind-review process. The deadline is
12pm on 4 May. We will let you know if your paper has been accepted on 4 June.

Presentations should be 20 minutes, plus 10 minutes for questions. The
language of the conference is English.

Key Dates:

Deadline for Submissions: 4 May, noon
Notification of Acceptance: 4 June
Registration: 11 June – 20 August
Conference: 13 – 14 September

Organizing Committee:

Ian Hare – PhD Candidate in Philosophy
Constantin Mehmel – PhD Candidate in Philosophy
Sara Vilar-Lluch – PhD Candidate in Linguistics

Venue: University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex, CO4 3SQ

https://www.uea.ac.uk/arts-humanities/graduate-school/news-and-events/uniting-
two-perspectives

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: