29.1809, Diss: Korean; Syntax; General Linguistics: Jungsoo Kim: ''Sluicing and Stripping in Korean: A non-ellipsis, anaphoric analysis''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 27 18:33:25 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1809. Fri Apr 27 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1809, Diss: Korean; Syntax; General Linguistics: Jungsoo Kim: ''Sluicing and Stripping in Korean: A non-ellipsis, anaphoric analysis''

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 14:33:16
From: Jungsoo Kim [jay0845 at gmail.com]

Institution: University of Texas at Austin
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2017

Author: Jungsoo Kim

Dissertation Title: Sluicing and Stripping in Korean: A non-ellipsis, anaphoric
analysis

                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Korean (kor)

Dissertation Director(s):
Stephen Wechsler

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation examines some constructions that have been traditionally
described as ellipsis phenomena in Korean. Speci cally, I focus on the
embedded sluicing construction and its two variants (i.e., the embedded
sluicing-like construction and the embedded con rmative/contrastive
construction),
and the stripping construction. In doing so, I first show that there are two
possible types for each of the constructions in terms of the presence of a
copula. I then argue that regardless of whether or not they contain a copula
they are not truly 'ellipsis', since they cannot be related to a full form by
adding
words. Instead they should be treated as simple full clauses. In particular, I
claim that they are like other subject-predicate constructions, where the
subject is a (possibly phonologically silent) anaphoric pronoun and a [VERBAL
+] predicate. I show that previous analyses of these constructions face
problems in accounting for their diverse intriguing properties, since they do
not distinguish between these two types or they resort to PF deletion and
silent syntax. I then argue that when the clause occurs with a copula, the
copula has a speci cational use, whereas when it does not occur with a copula,
the [VERBAL +] predicate simply denotes the property of the pronominal
subject. I also offer formal representations of some representative examples
of the these constructions, adopting the framework of HPSG (Head-Driven Phrase
Structure Grammar). This analysis enables us to capture their numerous common
grammatical properties and to explain their different behavior in some
respects, making the most of discourse/context information.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page:

          http://multitree.org/