29.1815, A Letter from Editor Sarah Robinson

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 27 23:46:36 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1815. Fri Apr 27 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1815, A Letter from Editor Sarah Robinson

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 19:45:38
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: A Letter from Editor Sarah Robinson

 Dear LINGUIST Listers,

My name is Sarah, and I'm on the Pubs Team--I manage journals, journal calls
for papers, TOCs, summer schools, academic papers, and dissertations. We may
have met through email, or you may have read some of my blog posts about nerd
stuff on the LL blog.

I've worked at LL for just under a year, and my position at LL has, without
exaggeration, saved my academic career. I came to IU without any funding and
would not have been able to continue building up debt. LL hired me last year
and offered me a graduate assistantship. On top of that, I found my graduate
program through LL.

While working here, I've worked toward an MA in General Linguistics, and was
recently accepted into the PhD program in the Linguistics Department, as well
as the PhD in the Germanic Studies Department. I'll be earning my MA in just a
few days!

LL has also put me in a position to meet and talk to countless scholars all
over the world. Editing TOCs means I have a unique, holistic view of the
linguistic research currently being published; reviewing and tagging every
abstract in every journal that comes through the list--which is quite a
lot!--means that I have a front row seat to newest publications in every
subfield.

During my degree, I have been able to work on a wide range of exciting
projects in multiple fields of linguistics, from phonetics and phonology to
cognitive science. LL's support and security is the main reason I have been
able to continue my studies.

There's only a few students managing all the data, submissions, and daily
postings at LL. Each day, I come in, check my emails and make sure to take
care of any issues that submitters have contacted us about. Then I check for
new dissertations and papers, new summer schools, publisher submissions,
journal submissions, JCalls, and finally, TOCs. If I have time, I'll jump on
another posting area to help another editor who is backed up. I'm
cross-trained in jobs and conferences.

When you support the LINGUIST List, you support the mission the LINGUIST List
stands for--the cause of creating a global linguistics community, a place to
share knowledge and find resources--but you also support students like me, who
wouldn't otherwise be able to be part of it.

Thanks for donating!
Best regards,
Sarah

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site: