29.3095, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Ling & Literature, Semantics, Sociolinguistics/Austria

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 3 20:33:18 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3095. Fri Aug 03 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3095, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Ling & Literature, Semantics, Sociolinguistics/Austria

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 16:32:22
From: Georg Marko [georg.marko at uni-graz.at]
Subject: Language and the Weather / Sprache und Wetter

Full Title: Language and the Weather / Sprache und Wetter

Date: 26-Oct-2018 - 27-Oct-2018
Location: Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria
Contact Person: Georg Marko
Meeting Email: georg.marko at uni-graz.at

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Ling & Literature; Semantics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 13-Aug-2018

Meeting Description:

“Language and the Weather / Sprache und Wetter”

International workshop, University Innsbruck (Austria), 26-27 October 2018

Weather we… no, wrong… whether we are chilling out in the shade, still
foggy-brained after a stormy night, whether we are hoping for a better
atmosphere for the autumn summit on climate change, or whether the mercury is
falling for our meteorophobic friends with their heads in the clouds, weather
literally and non-literally is and happens everywhere and all the time. It
thus is an essential part of our world and our environment. In our endeavour
to comprehend our relating to, and making sense of, our world and our
environment, we need to explore how we interpret current weather events and
long-term climatic states and changes, how we conceptualize them and use them
in our understanding of other phenomena and which role language and texts play
in these processes. This is the main focus of the workshop “Language and the
weather”.

This workshop will take place at the University of Innsbruck, Austria, from 26
to 27 October 2018, as part of the Annual Conference of Linguistics in Austria
(ÖLT). It will be co-organized by Hermine Penz, Georg Marko (University Graz,
Austria) and Martin Döring (University Hamburg, Germany).

2nd Call for Papers:

(Deadline extension)

We invite contributions approaching this topic from various methodological and
disciplinary angles, ranging from genre-analytical studies of weather
forecasts and semantic research into literary and non-literary weather
metaphors to syntactic investigations of subject-less precipitation verbs and
critical analyses of climate change discourses. There are no restrictions on
the language or the semiotic mode of the material to be analysed or on the
researchers’ disciplinary backgrounds as we are looking for a wide range of
different contributions, with a special emphasis on interdisciplinarity.

Please submit an abstract of no more than 300 words to
georg.marko(at)uni-graz.at and hermine.penz(at)uni-graz.at  by 13 August 2018
(notification will be sent by 20 August at the latest). Individual
presentations will be allocated 30 minutes, including 10 minutes for
discussion. The workshop languages are English and German.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: