29.3100, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics, Sociolinguistics/Cambodia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Aug 4 04:05:25 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3100. Sat Aug 04 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3100, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics, Sociolinguistics/Cambodia

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 00:03:22
From: Hana Aftina [kh257331 at gmail.com]
Subject: Language and Post-queer Sexuality in East Asia

 Full Title: Language and Post-queer Sexuality in East Asia

Date: 23-Jan-2019 - 26-Jan-2019
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Contact Person: Hana Aftina
Meeting Email: kh257331 at gmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 25-Oct-2018

Meeting Description:

Queer perspectives on sexuality have altered the notion of the language
community in multifarious ways, including that sexuality and its gender analog
have been conceived as socially, or socioculturally, constructed. The
influence of Judith Butler, in this respect, has been monumental, at the very
least, propelling our conceptions of ways in which we can alter the previous
positivist framings of gender and its then distinct correlations with
sexuality and language.

In  addition to looking outwardly, we should now begin to complexity gender
and sexuality by observing inward complexities, and hence a more holistic
approach to the subject. Following work by Teresa De Lauretis, we now ask how
we can position the individual as a set of individuals, engaging in struggle
concurrent of multiple concurrent legitimizations of of desire, that is, the
battle of various parts of the body, simultaneously desiring a certain
respective identity, be it sexual, gender, affiliation, linguistic, caste, or
the like.

The Colloquium invites papers on progressive perspectives on Asian Language,
Gender, and Sexuality in a post-queer era, and within transnational flows,
where we seek to complexify, or even problematize notions of queer
linguistics, and identity.

The Colloquium will be organized at the CALA conference in Siem Reap,
Cambodia, in January 23 - 26, 2019.

Contact person: Hana Aftina
Email: kh257331 at gmail.com

Call for Papers:

The Colloquium thus invites rhetoric contributing to the scholarship, and asks
participants to consider the following questions:

1. What are some of the intersections between current interregional discourse,
sexuality, textual mode, and neo-liberalism?

2. What are some ways in which the standardized or normative (hetero, homo,
other) requirements of members of respective sociolinguistic communities have
shifted or will shift so to accommodate current transglobal flows?

3. How do progressive notions of structuralism, post structuralism, the
information age, and progressive practices within mobile negotiated
interaction, and even bio communication, alter formations of sexuality within
Asia, and also globally in and across Asian communities?

4. What are the anthropological groundings for styles and shifts in sexuality
and language throughout Asia and Asian communities globally?

Submission method: Please submit abstracts to the following email:
kh257331 at gmail.com. Here, include all relevant author and speaker information,
including Name, Affiliation, and position as first, second, and so forth,
author.

Call Deadline:

Formatting: Abstracts should be approximately between 200 - 400 words, but the
Colloquium organizer will work with accepted proposals, so to revise and
prepare for the colloquia.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: