29.3153, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Researcher, Amazon

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 10 16:37:14 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3153. Fri Aug 10 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3153, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Researcher, Amazon

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 12:36:43
From: Edyta Blutke [edytabl at amazon.pl]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics: Researcher, Amazon, Germany

University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Research Science
Job Location: Berlin, Germany
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics

Interested in Amazon Echo? Come work on it. We’re building the speech and
language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services.
We’re working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!

Amazon is looking for a German Language Engineer to join our data engineering
team in the area of speech and language data processing. We are seeking a
candidate with strong analytical skills and language technology experience to
help us measure, analyze and solve complex problems. In this role, you will
support a range of data collection efforts, monitor accuracy and throughput
standards, and be a key member in new feature development.

Specifically, the Language Engineer will:
- Provide day-to-day coordination of data collection efforts, including
planning, scheduling, and reporting
- Measure and analyze accuracy and throughput of annotated data
- Contribute to the design of new features by extending existing annotation
schemas to cover new areas
- Write grammars and build FSTs
- Use modeling tools to bootstrap new functionalities
- Handle competing requests from a range of data customers
- Collaborate with other Language Engineers in data collection and feature
design efforts across multiple languages

Basic Qualifications:
 Bachelor’s or higher degree in a relevant field
- 2+ years experience in computational linguistics, language data processing,
semantics, or syntax
- Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
- Experience working with speech and text language data in multiple languages
- Native-level fluency in German
- Familiarity with database queries and data analysis processes (SQL, R,
Matlab, etc.), and Unix
- Experience programming in Perl, Python, or another scripting language

Preferred Qualifications:
- Expertise in building ontologies, taxonomies, and semantic relation
frameworks
- Expertise in German linguistics or NLP
- Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs
- Experience with statistical language modeling
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detailed
oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work
environment
- Willingness to support several projects at one time, and to accept
reprioritization as necessary

To apply, please see the application link below!

Application Deadline: 31-Aug-2018

Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/604657/german-language-engineer
Contact Information:
	Edyta Blutke