29.3234, Support: Spanish; French; Portuguese; Catalan; Galician; Italian; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Phonetics; Phonology; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax: PhD, University of Georgia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 21 13:15:03 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3234. Tue Aug 21 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3234, Support: Spanish; French; Portuguese; Catalan; Galician; Italian; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Phonetics; Phonology; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax: PhD, University of Georgia

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:13:36
From: Timothy Gupton [gupton1 at uga.edu]
Subject: Spanish; French; Portuguese; Catalan; Galician; Italian; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Phonetics; Phonology; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax: PhD, University of Georgia, USA

 Institution/Organization: University of Georgia
Department: Romance Languages
Web Address: http://rom.uga.edu

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Teaching,Project Work

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories; Phonetics; Phonology; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax
Second Language (L2) and L3/Ln Acquisition
Required Language(s): Catalan-Valencian-Balear (cat)
                      French (fra)
                      Galician (glg)
                      Italian (ita)
                      Portuguese (por)
                      Spanish (spa)

The University of Georgia (UGA) Department of Romance Languages offers
graduate programs in Romance Linguistics and Hispanic Linguistics leading to
M.A. and Ph.D. degrees. We are one of the most productive departments at UGA,
with a large faculty of professors who specialize in research on literature,
culture, linguistics and film.

Our graduate programs in Romance linguistics offer a diversity of theoretical
and applied approaches to a number of linguistic sub-fields, including
phonetics, phonology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, sociolinguistics,
historical linguistics, and second language acquisition (including L3/Ln
acquisition).

We currently have a large and diverse group of graduate students from the USA,
Africa, Asia, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America working together in a
collegial environment. Students complete the requirements for the M.A. in 2
years and the requirements for the Ph.D. in 4-5 years.

Our students benefit from close mentoring from professors and their peers,
monthly professional development workshops, and Romance languages pedagogy
training curriculum and support. We also offer funding opportunities for
graduate student travel to do research or present at regional, national, and
international conferences abroad.

Additionally, our students have opportunities to work as a Teaching Assistant
as part of a summer study abroad program in Argentina, Costa Rica, Peru, or
Spain.

Assistantships:
All qualified ROML graduate students receive a Teaching Assistantship that
includes a tuition waiver (all but $25 per semester, fees not included) and a
stipend for living expenses while they complete their studies. Departmental
teaching assistantships are awarded for 4 semesters to M.A. students and an
additional 8 semesters to Ph.D. students who qualify. The assistantship
application is included in our admissions page. Additional opportunities for
financial support are offered through the UGA Graduate School.

The Community:
Athens, Georgia (https://www.visitathensga.com/) is a vibrant and diverse
community in the Southeastern United States. It is well-known for its rich
musical activity, having produced bands such as REM, the B-52s, and Widespread
Panic. It offers public transportation and is a walkable town. It is also
quite affordable, with a relatively low cost of living. It is also 90 minutes
from Atlanta, a national and international transit hub.

Application Deadline: 01-Jan-2019

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Dr. Mark Anderson
	210 Herty Drive