29.4822, Qs: Phonologically Determined Agreement

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 4 23:58:14 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4822. Tue Dec 04 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4822, Qs: Phonologically Determined Agreement

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 18:58:02
From: Sebastian Bredemann [basti.bredemann at gmail.com]
Subject: Phonologically Determined Agreement

Hello,

I am a graduate student at the Goethe-University in Frankfurt, Germany. I am
investigating a special type of agreement relation, which is called
‚alliterative concord‘ or ‚phonological agreement‘. This is a type of
agreement in which the form of an agreement marker is determined by the
phonological information of the noun that controls the agreement. As an
example consider the data from the language Bainuk:

katama ka-wayi
river      AGR-large
dapon da-wuri
grass   AGR-long

The agreement marker on the adjectives ‚large‘ and ‚long‘ are determined by
the initial syllable of the nominal root. The initail syllable controlling
agreement for the nouns katama and dapon is NOT a noun class marker, nor does
mark any other morphological property. The agreement markers ka- and da- in
the examples cannot be assumed to be controled by any morphological property.
If you are a speaker of such a language or know a language that features
agreement like this, I would be happy to hear from you. The data I have so far
is very sparse and includes the following languages: Bainuk, Lumun, Abuq,
Dagik and Guébie. My research is not limited to a specific language family and
I would be very happy for any suggestions or hint. The data suggests that it
is common in Kru languages and Kordofonian languages. If you know or have
access to written grammars of those languages, I would be very happy, if you
told me. If you are not sure, whether the language you have in mind really
features phonological agreement, contact me anyway, I am thankful for every
hint.

Thank you for any help,
Sebastian Bredemann

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Linguistic Theories
                     Morphology
                     Phonology

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site: