29.4834, Calls: Applied Ling, Forensic Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Documentation, Socioling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 5 00:07:33 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4834. Tue Dec 04 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4834, Calls: Applied Ling, Forensic Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Documentation, Socioling/USA

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 19:06:58
From: Elizabeth Zsiga [zsigae at georgetown.edu]
Subject: Georgetown University Roundtable on Languages and Linguistics 2019

Full Title: Georgetown University Roundtable on Languages and Linguistics 2019
Short Title: GURT 2019

Date: 29-Mar-2019 - 31-Mar-2019
Location: Washington, D.C., USA
Contact Person: Elizabeth Zsiga
Meeting Email: gurt at georgetown.edu
Web Site: http://gurt.georgetown.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 16-Dec-2018

Meeting Description:

The Georgetown University Round Table (GURT) on Languages and Linguistics was
first held in 1949 and has been held every year since, covering a wide range
of topics differing from year to year.

The theme of GURT 2019 is Linguistics and the Public Good: Representing the
Language of Underrepresented Groups.

As linguists, we serve the public good in expanding knowledge of the diversity
and universality of linguistic aspects of human cognition and social
interaction.  One of the best ways to expand this knowledge is through the
description and analysis of languages and language varieties that are
underrepresented in the literature.  But we also have a responsibility to
serve the public good by advocating for those whose languages and dialects we
analyze, especially those groups who are underrepresented and under-served in
society at large.

Call for Papers:

Georgetown University Roundtable on Languages and Linguistics, 2019
Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
March 29 – 31, 2019

Linguistics and the Public Good:
Representing the Language of Underrepresented Groups

Represent: [ɹɛpɹiˈzɛntʔ]
1.  describe, characterize, specify
2.  speak on behalf of, advocate for

For GURT 2019, we invite submissions for papers and posters on the topic of
representing the language of underrepresented groups, in both senses of the
word “represent.”  As linguists, we serve the public good in expanding
knowledge of the diversity and universality of linguistic aspects of human
cognition and social interaction.  One of the best ways to expand this
knowledge is through the description and analysis of languages and language
varieties that are underrespresented in the literature.  But we also have a
responsibility to serve the public good by advocating for those whose
languages and dialects we analyze, especially those groups who are
underrepresented and under-served in society at large. Submissions on all
aspects of the theme of “Linguistics and the public good” are invited, and we
specifically encourage submissions on the following themes:

The Grammar of African-American English
Invited speaker: J. Michael Terry, The University of North Carolina at Chapel
Hill

Heritage Learners in the Language Classroom
Invited speaker: Guadalupe Valdés, Stanford University

The Language of Underrepresented Groups in the Legal Arena
Invited speaker: John Rickford, Stanford University

Digital Resources for Cultural Heritage
Invited panelists:

Azeb Amha, University of Leiden
Mary Linn, The Smithsonian Institution
Columba Stewart, Hill Museum and Manuscript Library

Diversifying Linguistics: Working Toward a More Inclusive Field
Invited panelists:

Kirby Conrod, University of Washington
Stephany Dunstan, North Carolina State University
Julie Hochgesang, Gallaudet University
Nicole Holliday, Pomona College
Gloria Park, Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Minnie Quartey, Georgetown University

Please consider joining us and contributing to an informative and challenging
weekend.

Check the conference website for updates and abstract submission:
https://gurt.georgetown.edu

Instructions for submissions:

Abstracts should be no more than 500 words (one page, 12-pt font) with an
additional
page for references or figures if needed.
Indicate which special theme, if any.
Indicate preference for 20-minute talk or poster presentation.
Please visit gurt.georgetown.edu for links to submit your abstract (via
EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=gurt2019)

Deadline for submissions: December 16, 2018
Notification of acceptance: January 18, 2019

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: