29.759, Books: An Exploration of Writing: Daniels

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 16 18:37:51 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-759. Fri Feb 16 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.759, Books: An Exploration of Writing: Daniels

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Michael Czerniakowski <mike at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 13:37:45
From: Janet Joyce [jjoyce at equinoxpub.com]
Subject: An Exploration of Writing: Daniels

Title: An Exploration of Writing
Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Equinox Publishing Ltd
	   http://www.equinoxpub.com/

Book URL: https://www.equinoxpub.com/home/exploration-writing/

Author: Peter T. Daniels

Electronic: ISBN:  9781781796092 Pages: 254 Price: U.S. $ 35 Comment: see web page
Hardback: ISBN:  9781781795286 Pages: 254 Price: U.S. $ 100
Paperback: ISBN:  9781781795293 Pages: 254 Price: U.S. $ 35

Abstract:

"An Exploration of Writing" is a book about our alphabets, our syllabaries,
and all the other kinds of writing that people use and have used for 5000
years. It introduces the general public to a topic that hardly anyone has
heard about, so it clarifies basic linguistic terms as they occur. For
linguists exploring the growing field of graphonomy—the study of writing
systems—in which the author has long been a pioneer, it weaves together the
many threads of theory into a tapestry showing a fuller picture of what all
our scripts are seen to share.

"An Exploration of Writing" begins with more familiar kinds of writing
considered in unfamiliar ways—starting with English viewed syllabically—and
leads the reader across the Old World and the New to less familiar kinds of
writing, showing how all writings share a fundamental essence, however diverse
they appear to be, because all writing represents language. The more familiar
(Hebrew, Chinese, Korean) leads on to the less familiar (Udi, Pahlavi,
Javanese). Featured are some of the world’s most recently elucidated scripts,
and some that are long known but long neglected, such as those for Central
Asian languages, and some of the most recent interpretations of
long-mysterious scripts, such as Sumerian and Mesoamerican.

"An Exploration of Writing" is in the tradition of and in part a response to
"A Study of Writing" (1952/1963), by I. J. Gelb. It encapsulates more than
thirty years of the author’s work and his dozens of articles on writing
systems, ranging from investigating the physical process of writing to
bringing to light the achievements of those who had deciphered forgotten
scripts to developing a theoretical approach to the origins of writing which
leads to insights into the nature of writing itself.

Linguistic Field(s): Writing Systems

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=124433

PUBLISHING PARTNER

    Cambridge University Press
        http://us.cambridge.org

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Akademie Verlag GmbH
        http://www.oldenbourg-verlag.de/akademie-verlag

    Bloomsbury Linguistics (formerly Continuum Linguistics)
        http://www.bloomsbury.com

    Brill
        http://www.brill.nl

    Cambridge Scholars Publishing
        http://www.c-s-p.org

    Cascadilla Press
        http://www.cascadilla.com/

    Classiques Garnier
        http://www.classiques-garnier.com/

    De Gruyter Mouton
        http://www.degruyter.com/

    Edinburgh University Press
        http://www.euppublishing.com

    Elsevier Ltd
        http://www.elsevier.com/

    Equinox Publishing Ltd
        http://www.equinoxpub.com/

    European Language Resources Association (ELRA)
        http://www.elra.info/

    Georgetown University Press
        http://www.press.georgetown.edu/

    John Benjamins
        http://www.benjamins.com/

    Lincom GmbH
        http://www.lincom-shop.eu/

    MIT Press
        http://mitpress.mit.edu/

    Multilingual Matters
        http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

    Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
        http://www.narr.de/

    Oxford University Press
        oup.com/us

    Palgrave Macmillan
        http://www.palgrave.com/

    Peter Lang AG
        http://www.peterlang.com/

    Rodopi
        http://www.rodopi.nl/

    Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
        http://www.routledge.com/

    Springer
        http://www.springer.com/

    University of Toronto Press
        http://www.utpjournals.com/

    Wiley-Blackwell
        http://www.wiley.com/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Association of Editors of the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics
        http://www.fl.ul.pt/revistas/JPL/JPLweb.htm

    International Pragmatics Assoc.
        http://ipra.ua.ac.be/

    Linguistic Association of Finland
        http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

    Morgan & Claypool Publishers
        http://www.morganclaypool.com/

    Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke (LOT)
        http://www.lotpublications.nl/

    Seoul National University
        http://j-cs.org/index/index.php

    SIL International Publications