29.776, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Mapbox

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 16 19:04:20 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-776. Fri Feb 16 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.776, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Mapbox

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:04:18
From: Brie Bastidas [brie at mapbox.com]

University or Organization: Mapbox
Department: Linguistic
Job Location: , USA (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://www.mapbox.com/careers/
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Other; Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

What You’ll Do:
- Design, build, and deploy scalable, state-of-the-art natural language
processing (NLP) systems to improve multilingual mapping, navigation, and
search tools
- Consult with other teams on questions that arise from processing non-English
data and supporting non-English-speaking users
- Serve as an internal resource for all things related to language and
linguistics

What We Believe are Important Traits for This Role:
- Appreciation for linguistic complexity and diversity
- Top-notch programming skills
- Experience building language technology
- Familiarity with a broad range of issues in computational linguistics, from
Unicode standards to sequence-to-sequence deep learning architectures
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in writing, to communicate in a
global, highly asynchronous work environment
- Enthusiasm for teaching and a desire to make the team smarter
- Fire, compassion, and a sense of humor
- Bonus points for Node.js, Python, Bash, Docker, experience with cloud
computing and big data, familiarity with non-Latin alphabets, and being
multilingual

What We Value:
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and
opportunities.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to
this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the
things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting
our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with
the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage
people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual
orientations to apply.

Web Address for Applications: http://bit.ly/2ELscTK
Contact Information:
	Senior Technical Recruiter Brie Bastidas
	Email: briebastidas at icloud.com
	Phone: 14152997471