29.820, FYI: Online C-STAR lecture 2/22: Nonfluency in Aphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 20 21:14:57 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-820. Tue Feb 20 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.820, FYI: Online C-STAR lecture 2/22: Nonfluency in Aphasia

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 16:14:50
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

Thursday, February 22, 2pm EST
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Investigating the origin of nonfluency in aphasia
Nazbanou “Bonnie” Nozari, MD, PhD.
School of Medicine, Neurology and Neurosurgery.
Johns Hopkins University

A major challenge in understanding the origin of clinical symptoms in
neuropsychological impairments is capturing the complexity of the underlying
cognitive structure. An excellent example is the challenge of understanding
the origin of nonfluency in post-stroke aphasia. While a large body of
literature has explored the relationship between nonfluency and various
aspects of language processing, the origin of this symptom has remained
obscure due to highly complex and inter-related operations that underlie
language production. In this talk, I will propose a psycholinguistic framework
for studying the possible origin(s) of nonfluency in aphasia, and review
several bodies of work that have independently suggested a relationship
between fluency and various processes in this model. I will then discuss a
statistical approach, a variant of structural equation modeling, that allows
us to construct a realistic model of nonfluency that better captures the
complex architecture of the language production system. Using this approach, I
will identify several operations the damage to which can lead to nonfluency,
and highlight the areas in need of further research.

The lecture will be held at Johns Hopkins University. However, it will be
broadcast live to USC:

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208

Date: Thursday, February 22 2018, Time: 2pm – 3pm EST

The viewing event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.

United States : +1 (872) 240-3412

Access Code: 667-426-173

First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Phonetics
                     Phonology
                     Psycholinguistics