29.845, Calls: Translation/China

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 21 21:56:06 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-845. Wed Feb 21 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.845, Calls: Translation/China

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 16:55:56
From: Miranda Lui [Spacefortranslation at cuhk.edu.hk]
Subject: A Space for Translation: Thresholds of Interpretation

Full Title: A Space for Translation: Thresholds of Interpretation

Date: 10-Dec-2018 - 12-Dec-2018
Location: Hong Kong, China
Contact Person: Miranda Lui
Meeting Email: SpaceForTranslation at cuhk.edu.hk
Web Site: http://traserver.tra.cuhk.edu.hk/space-web/

Linguistic Field(s): Translation

Call Deadline: 31-May-2018

Meeting Description:

This conference on translation and space, organized by the Department of
Translation at CUHK, follows on the success of our 2016 conference
“Translation and Time: Exploring the Temporal Dimension of Cross-cultural
Transfer.”

Space and spatial metaphors for translation have been more prevalent in
translation research than time and temporal metaphors, although they are also
often inter-related. Researchers have proposed translation as a borderland or
boundary of a social system (following Luhmann), translators as inhabiting a
third space (Pym’s pirates), and translators as inhabiting cultural space
(following Bourdieu).

For this conference we would like to concentrate on two aspects of the spatial
dimension of translation, one real, the other metaphorical.

For the real, we invite papers that consider translation and/in colonial
spaces or translation and migrant spaces. For the metaphorical, we are
interested in translation theorized as liminal activity.

The aims of this conference, then, are twofold. First, to reflect upon the way
in which considerations of space, especially liminal ones such as the
threshold, may provide new insights and research directions for translation
and interpreting studies. Second, to reflect upon the ways in which spatial
constraints impinge upon or shape the translation process, and how translation
may work to re-shape cultural spaces.

Call for Papers:

Proposals for individual papers or panels (3-4 speakers) are welcome on any
aspect of the theme, in particular but not limited to:

- Spatial metaphors of translation
- Translation as liminal activity
- Translation and colonial spaces
- Translation and migrant spaces
- Translation and social geography
- Translation and digital spaces
- Textual spaces of translation
- Interaction of space and time in translation

Length of Paper: 20-minute presentation

Language of Presentation: English

Submission Procedures:

Proposals (maximum 250 words) should be sent by 31 May 2018 to:
SpaceForTranslation at cuhk.edu.hk.
(http://traserver.tra.cuhk.edu.hk/space-web/forms/Space_for_Translation_appn_p
anel.doc)
Abstracts will be reviewed by members of the Organizing Committee and scholars
invited by the Committee.
Notification of acceptance will be in July 2018.