29.923, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Product Support Software Developer, HarperCollins Publishers

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 27 18:10:21 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-923. Tue Feb 27 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.923, Jobs: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Product Support Software Developer, HarperCollins Publishers

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 13:10:19
From: Christiana Markou [Christiana.Markou at harpercollins.co.uk]
Subject: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Product Support Software Developer, HarperCollins Publishers, London, UK

University or Organization: HarperCollins Publishers
Department: Collins Learning
Job Location: London, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.harpercollins.co.uk/
Job Title: Product Support Software Developer, Collins Learning
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics

Collins has been publishing educational and informative books for almost 200
years. Throughout this rich heritage we have maintained an impressive record
in creating market-leading products across various sectors. Our publishing for
schools continues to deliver up-to-date and engaging student resources and
exceptional teacher support to help schools tackle new initiatives and utilise
the latest technology. We produce resources for UK and International curricula
to support teachers and pupils at school and outside the classroom
environment.

Our Collins Learning team in Glasgow are looking for a Product Support
Software Developer to provide technical product support and systems
development across Collins Learning.

Responsibilities:
- Provide support to in-house and external users and liaise with vendors to
ensure effective plans are in place for future developments for the languages
DPS system.
- Provide a smooth and efficient use of DPS and a clear plan for future
developments.
- Use scripting to manipulate language data held in DPS or as tagged text to
ensure it is correctly formatted at each stage of the production process (XML
Data processing).
- Ensure timely supply of content in the correct format at all stages of
product creation.
- Apply best industry standard processes and practices on all all database and
computational support work across the division.
- Ensure that divisional data assets are managed in the most appropriate and
effective manner at all times.
- Investigate, establish and document appropriate technical processes and
standards for creating a variety of different types of product across the
division.
- Ensure suppliers are aware of technical standards required and adhere to
these.
- Effective and robust supplier relationships.

Key Skills/Experience:
- Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or other relevant technical
discipline
- Experience of the practical application of publishing technologies
- Experience of computational linguistics would be desirable
- Technical knowledge and experience of XML workflows and associated
technologies for content creation and management
- An interest in language
- An interest in publishing for the reference and education market
- Good communicator
- Organised and thorough
- Logical thinker
- Approachable and enthusiastic
- Good team player, co-operative and helpful
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure
- Ability to explain complex technical issues and solutions to colleagues at
all levels

Please apply via the link below with your CV, cover letter and salary
expectations. Early applications may be prioritised.

Please note: We consider all applicants based on their skills, experience and
ability to do the job. We do not unfairly discriminate on the basis of
convictions or other personal information. We do require candidates to undergo
employment screening in accordance with the relevant local legislation. This
will only happen at the point an offer of employment is made.

Overview of HarperCollins:

Our mission at HarperCollins is to harness the power of great publishing and
to amplify it through world class marketing, global strength, and relentless
innovation. We are all working towards the same goal, and we do it guided by
what matters most to us. The culture at HarperCollins is defined by our six
values, which inform our everyday actions and the way we behave. From Finance
to Editorial, our values shape the way we work.

Web Address for Applications: http://bit.ly/2EZGjpe
Contact Information:
	Christiana Markou
	Email: Christiana.Markou at harpercollins.co.uk