29.933, Confs: Applied Linguistics/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 27 22:04:23 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-933. Tue Feb 27 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.933, Confs: Applied Linguistics/Poland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:04:16
From: Anna Jelec [jelec at amu.edu.pl]
Subject: Encoding/decoding affect in communication

Encoding/decoding affect in communication

Date: 24-Sep-2018 - 26-Sep-2018
Location: Poznan, Poland
Contact: Kamila Dębowska-Kozłowska
Contact Email: kamila at wa.amu.edu.pl

Both cognitive and affective content need to be factored in to account for the
many facets of communication. This session is aimed at providing a forum for a
multidisciplinary discussion on empirical and theoretical aspects of how
affect and language interact in communication. We are interested in putting
together the varying modalities and modes of expressing and processing
affective meaning.

We want to explore how the linguistic content is combined with the affective
content in the study of multimodal communication that involves both affective
encoding and affective cognition. When communicating people encode the
foremost contents of their minds, thoughts and feelings into multimodal
repertoire of cues: verbal, vocal and visual (face- and body-language).
Communication relies on the complex multimodal systems of meaning encoded and
expressed via these diverse modalities of verbal and nonverbal signs.
Affective cognition, i.e. the use of domain-general reasoning for processing
affective content that is situation specific, is part of communicative
decoding. Emotional cue integration is thus seen as a part of inferential
processing that relies on multimodal contextual cues. Our session aims to
investigate these diverse communicative modalities employed to communicative
means in meaning-sharing, and meaning-making.

Since we delve into a truly interdisciplinary field of investigation with a
vast array of methods applied to its studying, we encourage contributions from
linguistics and beyond as long as they are probing the means and modes of
affective communication and its comprehension. Multidisciplinary research
frameworks employing multimodal data, verbal, visual, paralinguistic, audio
and audio-visual are are welcome.

Possible foci include:

- Verbal and non-verbal signs of communication of affective meanings (e.g.,
kinesics, gestures)
- Verbal and vocal cues in affective communication
- Affect/language interactions in L1/L2