29.64, Calls: Cog Sci, Ling Theories, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 3 22:05:05 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-64. Wed Jan 03 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.64, Calls: Cog Sci, Ling Theories, Psycholing, Semantics, Syntax/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2018 17:04:54
From: Arash Eshghi [eshghi.a at gmail.com]
Subject: 2nd Dynamic Syntax Conference

Full Title: 2nd Dynamic Syntax Conference
Short Title: DSC

Date: 17-Apr-2018 - 18-Apr-2018
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Arash Eshghi
Meeting Email: eshghi.a at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/seconddsconf/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Linguistic Theories; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 11-Feb-2018

Meeting Description:

We are pleased to announce that the second Dynamic Syntax conference will take
place at the University of Edinburgh on 17-18 April 2017. The meeting will
bring together those using Dynamic Syntax in their research, as well as those
interested in the empirical, computational, or theoretical issues surrounding
Dynamic Syntax and its use. Example topics include: the syntax-pragmatics
interface, incremental language processing & grammars, dialogue modelling,
fragments and ellipsis, quantification, incremental distributional semantics.
We especially welcome content that compares other formalisms to Dynamic Syntax
(formal properties, problematic phenomena, etc).

Whilst there is broad consensus that humans process linguistic input
incrementally, in real time, the dynamics of this process are often not
reflected in most formal accounts of linguistic knowledge. Dynamic Syntax
(Cann et al. 2005, Kempson et al. 2001, 2011) is a grammar formalism that
directly models the dynamics of parsing and production in real-time. On this
view, linguistic knowledge is the ability to process (parse and produce)
language, incrementally, in context, where syntax is recast as sets of
constraints on the incremental building up of semantic and contextual
representations from words encountered in a string.

The meeting will bring together those using Dynamic Syntax in their research,
as well as those interested in the empirical, computational, or theoretical
issues surrounding Dynamic Syntax and its use. Example topics include: the
syntax-pragmatics interface, incremental language processing & grammars,
dialogue modelling, fragments and ellipsis, quantification, incremental
distributional semantics. We especially welcome content that compares other
formalisms to Dynamic Syntax (formal properties, problematic phenomena, etc).

DS Master Class: The conference will also feature a DS 'master class'
providing an introduction to the framework, as well as the tools and
mechanisms of linguistic analysis (instructor TBC).

Keynote: We are delighted to announce that Prof. Ruth Kempson will deliver the
keynote address (title TBC).

Call for Papers:

Conference Dates: 17-18 April 2018
Location: University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Abstract Submission Deadline: 11 of February, 2018

Call for Extended Abstracts: We welcome papers directly employing the tools of
Dynamic Syntax, as well as those that engage with issues relating to
parsing-based approaches to the representation of natural language,
incremental systems of grammar, and/or the syntax-semantics and
syntax-pragmatic interfaces.

Abstract guidelines: Abstracts should be anonymous and no longer than 2 A4
pages, including references. The deadline for submissions is 11 February 2017.
We ask for abstracts to be sent in PDF or Word formats to Arash Eshghi
(eshghi.a at gmail.com). For additional information please contact Arash Eshghi
(eshghi.a at gmail.com)

Organisers: Ronnie Cann (University of Edinburgh), Arash Eshghi (Heriot-Watt
University), James Reid (University of Edinburgh)

Programme Committee (TBC): Ruth Kempson, Eleni Gregoromichelaki, Ronnie Cann,
Matthew Purver, Christine Howes, Stergios Chatzikyriakidis, Matthew Purver,
Arash Eshghi, Ronnie Cann, James Reid, Julian Hough, Miriam Bouzouita, Hannah
Gibson, Lutz Marten, Jieun Kiaer