29.125, Qs: Survey of Linguists and Language Researchers

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 5 22:41:00 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-125. Fri Jan 05 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.125, Qs: Survey of Linguists and Language Researchers

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 17:40:53
From: Savithry Namboodiripad [savithry at umich.edu]
Subject: Survey of Linguists and Language Researchers

Please complete and share widely this short anonymous survey on your
experiences in linguistics and related fields!

We want to hear from researchers at all stages of their careers, from all over
the world, whose work relates to language in some way. We welcome responses
from those who have left academia as well.

Link: https://umich.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9oaKQ2xrX9ngmOx

Lynn Y-S Hou (University of California, San Diego)
Savithry Namboodiripad (University of Michigan)
Corrine Occhino (Rochester Institute of Technology)

More details here:

This survey is being undertaken by Lynn Y-S Hou, Savithry Namboodiripad &
Corrine Occhino. It is motivated by the recent discussions around climate and
harassment in Linguistics and related fields.

We ask two main questions:

Q1: How have our identities shaped our professional experiences?
Q2: How can we improve the climate in our field(s)?

In order to address these larger questions, the questions in this survey
address the following more specific topics:

   - Who are we?
   - In what fields and departments are we working?
   - How do we perceive the climate in our field(s)?
   - What barriers have there been to a positive climate?
   - What has facilitated a positive climate?

Ultimately, we wish to empower individuals to speak about their experiences as
members of this community, and to collect information which can be used to
offer solutions for those who would like to work toward a more inclusive
community.

We know your time is valuable: the survey takes about 20 min if you complete
every section, but just completing the multiple choice questions takes less
than 5 minutes! And, you don't have to do it all in one sitting!

Questions and comments can be directed to savithry at umich.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics
                     General Linguistics

          http://multitree.org/