29.191, Calls: Applied Ling, Clinical Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Neuroling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 10 23:12:24 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-191. Wed Jan 10 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.191, Calls: Applied Ling, Clinical Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Neuroling/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:12:11
From: Mark Aronoff [mark.aronoff at stonybrook.edu]
Subject: Community Engagement in Deafness & Autism Research

Full Title: Community Engagement in Deafness & Autism Research
Short Title: CEDAR

Date: 12-Mar-2018 - 13-Mar-2018
Location: Groton, Connecticut, USA
Contact Person: Mark Aronoff
Meeting Email: mark.aronoff at stonybrook.edu
Web Site: https://cedar.uconn.edu/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Clinical Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Neurolinguistics

Language Family(ies): Sign Language

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2018

Meeting Description:

Including Deaf individuals as partners in research has advanced our
understanding of sign language and Deaf culture; however, tensions remain
between the Deaf community and researchers. Similar issues arise in the domain
of autism. Are autism and Deafness medical conditions in need of medical
solutions (e.g., a cochlear implant, behavioral therapy)? Are they cultural
identities that call for accommodations? Understanding the barriers to
communication among stakeholders will lead to more meaningful discourse. We
invite all stakeholders (Deaf and autistic people, their families, clinicians,
policy-makers, teachers, scientists, and community members) to participate in
our conversation. Steve Silberman, author of NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism
and the Future of Neurodiversity, will discuss his work on diverse identities.
Ruth Braunstein, UConn Professor of Sociology, will discuss social
problem-solving. There will be presentations of research that is informed by
the lived experiences of stakeholders.

Call for Contributions:

Participate in a conversation about Autism, Deafness, and research. We are
seeking proposals for several areas of discussion, but also welcome other
relevant proposals.

Categories and continua in conditions and diagnoses
Implications for identity development
Research on conditions that fall along a continuum
Who speaks for whom?
What long-term outcomes do we seek for Deaf/autistic people?
How we raise our children: What parents should know
Implications for intervention
Implication for acceptance
Acceptance versus accommodation
Support versus cure: How different are these?
Issues that adults grapple with
The role of basic science in understanding the diversity of the human
condition
Intersection of early diagnosis and stigma
Genetic and brain-based research: implications for identity development
Research informed by the lived experiences of stakeholders
Including stakeholders as research partners
Ethical issues in research
The advantages of diversity: Beyond perceptual strengths
The range of the human condition
Reducing tokenization

We welcome submissions in ASL.

Submit your 250 word proposal for a contribution using the form at
https://cedar.uconn.edu/contribute/ .

          http://multitree.org/