29.200, FYI: Call for Chapters: Teacher Education for Primary School English Teachers in Asia: Research and Practice

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 10 23:30:52 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-200. Wed Jan 10 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.200, FYI: Call for Chapters: Teacher Education for Primary School English Teachers in Asia: Research and Practice

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2018 18:30:32
From: Subhan Zein [m.zein at uq.edu.au]

Dear colleagues,

We were in correspondence with an editor of an international publishing
company, and she encouraged us to develop a volume proposal to be part of the
Schools and Schooling in Asia Series.

The working title of our proposed volume is ‘Teacher Education for Primary
School English Teachers in Asia: Research and Practice’.

The perceived value of English language in the rapidly changing political,
social, economic and educational landscapes of Asia in the 21st century has
become more evident (Kirkpatrick, 2016; Stroupe & Kimura, 2015). In the field
of educational policy, it is made manifest in the increased provision of
English language in the primary schooling curricula, either the language is
taught as a school subject or as a medium of instruction (Baldauf, Kaplan,
Kamwangamalu & Bryant, 2011). However, primary school English teachers in many
contexts in Asia still struggle to meet the demands of English language
pedagogy (e.g. Butler, 2015; Canh & Chi, 2012; Chou, 2008; Kabilan, 2013;
Zein, 2016), while scholarship on English language education in Asia has
placed emphasis mainly on policy (see Kirkpatrick, 2017; Spolsky & Moon,
2012), leaving us with little knowledge regarding the research and practice of
teacher education.

There is a distinct lack of publications offering insights into this key area.
Exploring research and practice issues regarding the teacher education of
primary school English teachers in Asia is not only significant but also
timely in order to inform practice of teacher education in this increasingly
important field within the continent and beyond.

We welcome proposals that could address this issue of importance within one of
the following strands:

1) Research-based proposals that tackle one specific issue of teacher
education of primary school English teachers in Asia (e.g. practicum, action
research, classroom discourse, observation, mentoring);

2) Review-based proposals that provide contextual information on policy on
teacher education for primary school English teachers in one of the less
documented countries in Asia, including but not limited to Kazakhstan,
Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Mongolia, Nepal, etc.

Sole and co-authored proposals are both welcome.

In formatting your proposal, please adhere to the following guidelines: 1.
Abstract Word Count: 500 words (excluding references); 2. Font: Times New
Roman 12, single-spaced; 3. Author(s): please identify all author(s)
contributing to the chapter proposal and the author(s)' institutional
affiliation; 4) ORCID ID: Please provide the author(s)' ORCID ID. If you have
not had one, please register here: https://orcid.org/ ; 6. References: Please
follow the APA 6th Edition; 7. Author Biography: Please provide the author
short biography (only 50 words) in one document (placed under references in
the proposal).

Rigorous reviews will be undertaken in the selection of the proposals,
ensuring that only high quality proposals will be included in our book
proposal. Furthermore, only high quality chapters will be accepted by the
editors and external reviewers before being forwarded to the publisher.

Please submit your proposal to ybutler at gse.edu and m.zein at uq.edu.au by 30
April 2018.

We will provide you with feedback (if necessary) by 20 May 2018, and your
revised proposal will be due on 30 May 2018. We expect to submit our full book
proposal to the publisher by 30 June 2018.

We look forward to receiving your proposals.

Sincerely,

Subhan Zein and Yuko Goto Butler

Subhan Zein received his PhD from the Australian National University (ANU). He
teaches at School of Education, the University of Queensland, Australia, and
has trained teachers in Indonesia and Australia. His articles have appeared in
Applied Linguistics Review, Professional Development in Education, Journal of
Education for Teaching: International Research and Pedagogy, among others.

Yuko Goto Butler is an Associate Professor of Educational Linguistics at the
Graduate School of Education at the University of Pennsylvania. She is also
the director of the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
program at Penn. Her research interests are primarily focused on the
improvement of second/foreign language education among young learners in the
U.S. and Asia as well as assessment methods for them in response to the
diverse needs of an increasingly globalizing world.