29.505, Qs: History of Linguistics as trade book?

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 29 23:51:02 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-505. Mon Jan 29 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.505, Qs: History of Linguistics as trade book?

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:49:26
From: Stefan Dollinger [stefan.dollinger at ubc.ca]
Subject: History of Linguistics as trade book?

Dear colleagues,

I'm writing a trade-book history (general reader, yet precisely researched) of
the study of Canadian English from 1940 to 1998.

See here for TOC and Chapter 1:
https://www.academia.edu/35184221/The_Professor_and_the_Mountaineer_Inventing_
Canadian_English_CHAPTER_1_and_TOC_24_Jan._2018_submitted_version_

I am wondering which accessible yet well-researched disciplinary linguistic
histories you know. I know work around the OED, Winchester's The Meaning of
Everything, The Professor and the Madman or Ted Bishop's Ink (while the latter
is more travelogue and not archival work). There is Linguistic Wars, of
course, but apart from these, which books do you know?

Remember, the histories should be accessible, e.g. more The Meaning of
Everything, rather than full-blown scholarly (e.g. Peter Gilliver''s The
Making of the OED).

Submissions from any language background are most welcome. Depending on the
feedback, if any, I'll post a short summary.

I appreciate your help.

Stefan

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Historical Linguistics
                     History of Linguistics