29.548, Calls: Phonology/Portual

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 31 23:15:37 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-548. Wed Jan 31 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.548, Calls: Phonology/Portual

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 18:14:58
From: Timothée Premat [timothee.premat at etud.univ-paris8.fr]
Subject: Representing Phonotactics

Full Title: Representing Phonotactics

Date: 23-Jun-2018 - 23-Jun-2018
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Contact Person: Ioana Chitoran
Meeting Email: chitoran.ioana at gmail.com
Web Site: http://labphon16.labphon.org/se-03.html

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

Call Deadline: 09-Feb-2018

Meeting Description:

Sharing a native language with a group of speakers implies, among other
things, parsing an acoustic signal in the same way, at the same time, and
sharing the same set of phonological representations, amounting to a common
lexicon. The purpose of this workshop is to focus on the phonotactic aspect of
these shared representations: How are phonotactic representations built? What
are they composed of? What is the role of phonotactics in the transmission of
linguistic information?

2nd Call for Papers:

New deadline for abstract's submission for the LabPhon 16 satellite workshop
''Representing phonotactics'': February 9, 2018.

The study of phonotactic representation has been dominated by concerns with
the principle of sonority. However, while phonotactics and sonority are
closely linked, understanding the question of phonotactic representation is
not reducible to finding the perfect version of the sonority principle. The
focus on sonority has greatly fostered our understanding of combinatorial
restrictions within complex syllable onsets and codas and their phonological
treatment (e.g., Selkirk 1984; Clements 1990; Berent et al. 2008). At the same
time, the sonority hierarchy does not account for all phonotactic constraints.
We therefore invite contributions addressing the following four aspects,
bringing together all current knowledge that we have about them:

1. Typology: the extent of cross-linguistic variation in co-occurrence
restrictions and syllable structure types
2. Evolution: changes in phonotactic representations over time
3. Perception-production dynamics: phonotactic effects in cross-language
perception and production, and their implications for sound change and L2 or
L3 acquisition
4. Beyond phonology: The contribution of different levels of linguistic
structure (e.g., suprasegmental, morphological, etc.) to phonotactic
representation and to the transmission of linguistic information.

Format:

A total of 8 abstracts will be selected for presentation (about 2 per theme).
Depending on the number of submissions, a short poster session may be
included. Abstracts should follow the guidelines of the main conference
(http://labphon16.labphon.org/guidelines.html). Presentations will be 15 min
long (plus 5 min for questions). They will be followed by a general discussion
session outlining the essential ideas that emerge from the workshop, and a
15-minute brainstorming session leading to a list of new research questions
considered crucial for further study.

Workshop goals:

- To sum up the knowledge we have so far about the nature and role of
phonotactics
- To initiate collaborations across different perspectives, mixing different
approaches
- To further our understanding of the role of phonotactics in information
transmission at multiple linguistic levels

Extended abstract submission deadline: February 9, 2018
Notification of acceptance: March 15, 2018
Workshop program announced: March 30, 2018

Workshop date: June 23, 2018 (9:00 – 12:30)

Contact and submissions:

Ioana Chitoran (ioana.chitoran at gmail.com)
Michela Russo (michela.russo at univ-paris8.fr)