29.2840, Books: Speaking Up: Jule

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 9 16:35:19 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2840. Mon Jul 09 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2840, Books: Speaking Up: Jule

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 12:35:09
From: Flo McClelland [flo at multilingual-matters.com]
Subject: Speaking Up: Jule

Title: Speaking Up
Subtitle: Understanding Language and Gender
Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Multilingual Matters
	   http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

Book URL: http://www.multilingual-matters.com/display.asp?k=9781783099597

Author: Allyson Jule

Hardback: ISBN:  9781783099603 Pages: 144 Price: U.S. $ 59.95
Hardback: ISBN:  9781783099603 Pages: 144 Price: U.K. £ 49.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781783099597 Pages: 144 Price: U.S. $ 14.95
Paperback: ISBN:  9781783099597 Pages: 144 Price: U.K. £ 12.95

Abstract:

>From slut-shaming to the allegedly shrill voices of female politicians, from
vocal fry to online misogyny, the language women use (and the language used
about them) is as controversial as it has ever been. Our language use and our
gender have an enormous impact on the way we understand ourselves and the
world around us, and the way we are treated by society. Using the latest
academic research, Allyson Jule tackles some of the most pressing issues
facing feminism today, including how language use and related ideas about
gender play out in the home, workplace and online. It turns out that many
popular ideas about gender and language are more complicated than they first
appear. This book will change the way you think about language, and give you
the tools to challenge the world around you.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=128933

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: