29.2920, Calls: Historical Linguistics/Italy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 16 23:44:39 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2920. Mon Jul 16 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2920, Calls: Historical Linguistics/Italy

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 19:41:22
From: Massimo Sturiale [msturial at unict.it]
Subject: Myth-making and Myth-busting in and about Late Modern English

Full Title: Myth-making and Myth-busting in and about Late Modern English
Short Title: LModE-7

Date: 07-May-2020 - 09-May-2020
Location: Ragusa, Italy
Contact Person: Massimo Sturiale
Meeting Email: msturial at unict.it
Web Site: http://www.sdslingue.unict.it/lmode7

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2019

Meeting Description:

First circular and Call for papers

Sicily, the venue of our conference this time, is at the centre of countless
classical myths, and classical art held a special place in Late Modern
culture, whether it was to find inspiration for the architecture of its
mansions or to seek sublime emotion among ancient ruins. Moreover, Late Modern
times also created myths of their own, not least as far as linguistic matters
were concerned: it is in the eighteenth and the nineteenth centuries that the
myths of purity, propriety, antiquity and regularity were extolled in the
works of grammarians, lexicographers, teachers, and commentators. Also, in
Late Modern times controversies raged around texts that purported to be
ancient, but which some claimed to be forgeries. Finally, modern philology has
its roots in the often fierce debates of the time on the origins of languages
in general and of English in particular.

For this conference we would therefore like to invite contributions that
address topics like the ones we outlined above, though of course other
submissions will also be taken into consideration.

We are very pleased to announce that the following scholars have kindly
accepted our invitation to deliver keynote lectures:

- Prof. Raymond Hickey (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany)
- Prof. Juhani Klemola (University of Tampere, Finland)
- Prof. Linda C. Mitchell (San José State University, USA)

Envisaged schedule:

- Academic programme: from Thursday morning (May 7th) to Saturday morning (May
9th) included;
- Social programme:
a) Guided tour of Ibla on Wednesday evening
b) Opening reception on Thursday evening
c) Conference dinner on Friday night
d) Excursion on Saturday afternoon and evening

Details concerning the registration fee and social programme costs will be
announced at a later date.

Travel information will be made available in the conference website:
www.sdslingue.unict.it/lmode7.

Call for Papers:

Send your abstracts as Word attachments to LMODE7 at unict.it no later than 31
August 2019.

Acceptance will be notified by mid October 2019.

Abstracts should be ca. 300 words excluding references; they should include
the name of the authors(s), their affiliation(s), and max. 5 keywords. We
recommend that your title be clear and that the abstract include the main
research question(s), the object of investigation, and – if applicable – how
the contribution aims to address the general conference topic. Please note
also that we envisage the publication of one or more cohesive volumes
resulting from the conference presentations, so we will expect to receive
extended abstracts (ca. 700 words excluding references) by 15th September 2020

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page:

          http://multitree.org/