29.2928, Books: Language Awareness in Multilingual Classrooms in Europe: Hélot, Frijns, Gorp, Sierens (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 17 14:47:07 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2928. Tue Jul 17 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2928, Books: Language Awareness in Multilingual Classrooms in Europe: Hélot, Frijns, Gorp, Sierens (eds.)

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 10:46:56
From: Pablo Dominguez Andersen [pablo.dominguez at degruyter.com]

Title: Language Awareness in Multilingual Classrooms in Europe
Subtitle: From Theory to Practice
Series Title: Contributions to the Sociology of Language [CSL]

Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: De Gruyter Mouton
	   http://www.degruyter.com/mouton

Book URL: https://www.degruyter.com/view/product/448518?format=G

Editor: Christine Hélot
Editor: Carolien Frijns
Editor: Koen Gorp
Editor: Sven Sierens

Hardback: ISBN:  9781501510434 Pages: 305 Price: U.S. $ 114.99

Abstract:

Within the scope of today’s globalisation, linguistic diversity is a given
fact of the world we live in. In several educational contexts in Europe,
language awareness (LA) activities have been introduced with the objective to
prepare pupils cognitively, socially and/or critically for life as
multilingual, open minded and/or empowered citizens in a diverse world.
Despite previous research in various contexts, the concept of LA remains
problematic: a generally accepted, evidence-based conceptualisation is
missing. This confronts both research and education with a challenge: in order
to develop LA activities, implement them successfully in educational contexts
and achieve the expected outcomes, we should know what the concept stands for,
how it works and why we would choose to implement it in classrooms (or not).
This volume focuses on three apparent simple questions: what, how and why? The
first question – what? – refers to the concept(ual mess) of LA. The second
question – how? – refers to the implementation of LA activities in several
educational contexts. The third question – why? – is a recurrent theme running
through all the chapters and deals with a reflection on the way we deal
(un)consciously with LA activities in education.

                     General Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=128613

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page:

          http://multitree.org/