29.2937, Calls: Cognitive Science, Neurolinguistics, Psycholinguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 17 21:57:22 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2937. Tue Jul 17 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2937, Calls: Cognitive Science, Neurolinguistics, Psycholinguistics/Germany

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 17:55:30
From: Christina Sanchez-Stockhammer [christina.sanchez at lmu.de]
Subject: Language in Mind and Brain

 Full Title: Language in Mind and Brain

Date: 10-Dec-2018 - 11-Dec-2018
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact Person: Christina Sanchez-Stockhammer
Meeting Email: christina.sanchez at lmu.de
Web Site: https://www.kognitive-sprachforschung.uni-muenchen.de/aktuelles/language_brain-2018/index.html

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Aug-2018

Meeting Description:

The question how human language works is investigated both by neuroscientists
and by linguists. However, there are important differences in how they
approach this issue: the strength of neurocognitive research lies in the
investigation of specific phenomena under highly controlled conditions in
order to identify their local or temporal association with specific areas of
the physical brain. Linguists, by contrast, commonly attempt to devise more
general models of how human language is represented and processed in the human
mind. The aim of this workshop is to bridge the gap between the different
research traditions and to explore and expand their common ground. Our vision
is to bring together researchers from the fields of neuroscience, cognitive
science and linguistics who have an interest in discussing the relation
between language, mind and brain in a constructive and cooperative atmosphere.
We hope to pave the way for future joint research and to contribute to a
genuinely interdisciplinary, more integrated investigation of human language.
To achieve this aim, the workshop will combine presentation and discussion
sections with invited guest speakers and poster sessions, leaving much space
for exchange and discussions between participants.

We are happy to announce the following guest speakers:

Daniel Casasanto (Cornell University)
Ewa Dąbrowska (University of Birmingham)
Adele Goldberg (Princeton University)
Peter Hagoort (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen)
Friedemann Pulvermüller (Free University Berlin)
Hans-Jörg Schmid (LMU Munich)

Venue:

The conference will take place in the Senatssaal of LMU Munich's main building
(Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1).

Conference fees:

Early bird (by October 15): 50 Euros
Regular: 70 Euros
Conference dinner: 36 Euros (three courses; does not include drinks)

Call for Papers:

Call for poster presentations:

For the poster sessions, we invite contributions from the fields of
linguistics, psycholinguistics, cognitive psychology and/or neuroscience on
topics that fit the theme and interdisciplinary, exchange-oriented outline of
the workshop. The research presented can, but does not have to be,
interdisciplinary itself.
Each poster will be presented to the plenary in a brief presentation of max. 5
minutes. There will be a prize for the best poster.

Abstracts of up to 300 words should be submitted to iccls at lmu.de by August 15,
2018.

We will send notifications of acceptance by September 10, 2018.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: