29.3006, FYI: ZAS Database of Clause-Embedding Predicates 1.0

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 25 15:55:26 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3006. Wed Jul 25 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3006, FYI:  ZAS Database of Clause-Embedding Predicates 1.0

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:55:12
From: Thomas McFadden [mcfadden at leibniz-zas.de]

Dear colleagues and friends,

We are very happy to announce the first full Public Release of the ZAS
Database of Clause-Embedding Predicates. The database was originally conceived
and designed by Barbara Stiebels and built up over several years by a team of
researchers and student assistants. Since 2014 we have been preparing a
publicly accessible version in collaboration with Peter Meyer and Carolin
Müller-Spitzer at the Institut für Deutsche Sprache (IDS) in Mannheim, using
their OWID-plus platform for lexical and lexicographic resources and a
purpose-built, extremely powerful and intuitive search interface, developed by
Peter Meyer.

Release 1.0 of the contemporary German portion of the database is now publicly
accessible online at the following URL:

http://www.owid.de/plus/zasembed/

This release contains 1,793 predicates, whose embedding behavior is
demonstrated by 16,804 corpus examples. The predicates and examples are each
coded for a series of grammatical and lexical properties, and the interface
allows you to construct searches making use of all of them. It will let you
try out very simple queries with a few intuitive clicks and keystrokes and
will give you immediate feedback, filtering the results in real time. But it
will also let you build sophisticated queries with arbitrary boolean
combinations of criteria applying to properties of both examples and
predicates in order to track down exactly what you're interested in. Complete
documentation of the database and the search interface, including a tutorial
on building up advanced searches (the User's Guide) is also integrated into
the interface itself.

We invite you to explore the database, play around with the interface, and see
what research questions you can pursue with it, and of course you are very
welcome to pass the word along to anyone you think might be interested. The
database is available free of charge and will remain so in future releases.
The online documentation includes a section entitled 'Correct use of the
dabase' which details the (rather modest) conditions of use, including
information about proper citation and how to include source information if you
use examples from the database in any publications. Since last year's Public
Beta release, we have added export functionality, which lets you download the
output of a search as a spreadsheet file for further local processing. To use
this, just send us a message (at the email address listed below), with your
name, institutional affiliation (if any), a note on how you heard about the
database, and a sentence or two describing why you are interested in the
database and what you intend to use it for. We will then send you a password
to enable export. We ask for this information solely to give us an idea of how
the database is being used and to inform how we further develop it and spread
the word about it. Of course we will not share the information with any third
parties.

The database is in ongoing development, and we will be making new releases in
the coming years with additional data and of course fixes to any errors. We
are thus very much interested in feedback about any problems you may come
across and about how you find the database and its search interface. Please
send us any comments or questions at:

zas-datenbank at leibniz-zas.de

Best wishes,
Thomas McFadden and the ZAS-Database Team

                     Lexicography
                     Linguistic Theories
                     Morphology
                     Semantics