29.2431, Qs: Suggestions for resources on Sán Dìu

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 6 15:47:27 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2431. Wed Jun 06 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2431, Qs: Suggestions for resources on Sán Dìu

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2018 11:47:18
From: Matthew Sung [s1511479 at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: Suggestions for resources on Sán Dìu

I am currently working on a language called Sán Dìu which is a language spoken
in northern Vietnam. My project is on the classification of this language.
However, there are very few resources that I can find on this language
variety. I am going to use the data from Ngyuen (2013) for my analysis, but I
cannot start without knowing more about the language.

So far, I have got:
Edmondson et al (2007) Languages of Vietnam

Hutton, C. (2000) Cross-Border Categories: Ethnic Chinese and the
Sino-Vietnamese Border at Mong Cai

Ngyuen (2013) Ngu Am Tieng San Diu O Viet Nam

It will be great if you can suggest literature that are in English or Chinese.
Any sort of recordings are welcomed too. If you know about San Diu or you know
a native speaker of Sán Dìu, it will be great if you can get in touch with me
as well.

Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Genetic Classification
                     Historical Linguistics
                     Phonetics
                     Phonology
                     Sociolinguistics