29.2509, A Brief History of the LINGUIST List

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 12 17:43:57 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2509. Tue Jun 12 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2509, A Brief History of the LINGUIST List

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 13:43:51
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: A Brief History of the LINGUIST List

Hello LINGUIST Listers,

Thanks again for visiting our blog!

Today, we would like to give you a little insight about the beginnings of the
website. Did you know that the LINGUIST List was one of the first sites on the
web? (You may have guessed as much from our “classic” layout). It was
originally started in the year 1990 before web browsers (or the internet for
that matter) had become popular among the general public. The website began
its journey at the University of Western Australia with our founders,
Professor Anthony Aristar and his wife, Professor Helen Aristar-Dry. Roughly
one year later, the LINGUIST List made a quick move to Texas A&M University.
The main editing site, however, was established at Eastern Michigan University
where most of the life of the website has been centered. In 1994, the website
already had over 5,000 subscribers. This may not sound like much nowadays but
considering the relative number of internet users at the time, this was quite
a lot! It was around this time that the LINGUIST List even held its own online
conference. In the following years the LINGUIST List made a few more moves. In
1997 it moved away from Texas A&M to its own site, in 1998 a second editing
site was established at Wayne State University, and in 2006 all of the
LINGUIST List’s operations moved to Eastern Michigan University. Five years
later in 2013, our original founders retired and handed off the reigns to our
current moderators, Professors Damir and Malgorzata Cavar. Finally, in 2014,
the LINGUIST List moved to Indiana University where it currently resides
today.

Over this period of time the LINGUIST List has accumulated a number of useful
resources, many of which we have detailed in some of our other blog posts. We
are only able to offer these services, however, with the help of our generous
community members like yourself. Our fund drive is currently ongoing and we
need your help to continue making the linguistics community awesome. Your
donations in particular strengthen the linguistics community by providing
resources and valuable information to your fellow linguists. Join us in this
endeavor by donating what you can today!

With gratitude,

The LINGUIST List Team

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: