29.2664, Confs: Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Disc Analysis, Language Acquisition, Text/Corpus Ling

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 25 18:35:31 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2664. Mon Jun 25 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2664, Confs: Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Disc Analysis, Language Acquisition, Text/Corpus Ling

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)

Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:32:31
From: Juniper Lovato [juniper.lovato at uvm.edu]
Subject: Symposium on the Science of Stories

Symposium on the Science of Stories

Date: 15-Oct-2018 - 17-Oct-2018
Location: Burlington, Vermont, USA
Contact: Juniper Lovato
Contact Email: juniper.lovato at uvm.edu
Meeting URL: http://vermontcomplexsystems.org/events/science-of-stories/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Meeting Description:

During this intensive three-day short course, we will explore the nature of
narratives, how to extract them from data, how they move through time and
space, and how to preserve them through communication. We will also explore
how to communicate data-rich narratives to the public and how to tell a story
using data visualizations.

The Vermont Complex Systems Center is a highly collaborative, open, and
playful space that embraces intellectual curiosity, kindness, and rigor. We
are a post-disciplinary team of researchers working at the University of
Vermont on real-world, data-rich, and meaningful complex systems problems of
all kinds. Our educational programs are meant to be an idea collider. They
bring together faculty and participants from many fields and spark new
collaboration. They facilitate creativity. Our aim is not just to transfer
complexity tools but to provide a life experience for our students and create
a community of complexity researchers and practitioners who are open,
collaborative, and hungry for rigorous solutions to complex problems.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: