29.2725, Featured Staff: Meet Jeremy Coburn

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 29 21:59:22 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2725. Fri Jun 29 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2725, Featured Staff: Meet Jeremy Coburn

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 17:54:37
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Staff: Meet Jeremy Coburn

 Dear LINGUIST Listers,

My name is Jeremy Coburn and I am a GA editor for The LINGUIST List working on book announcements and review issues. I have the pleasure of working with some of the most prominent publishers in the world, e.g. Cambridge and Oxford University Presses, etc., to deliver publications on cutting-edge developments within the field of linguistics to you, our readers. My job is to ensure that the books we announce on LINGUIST List are current and relevant to you and your interests as a linguist by vetting the hundreds of publications which are submitted to us each month for
announcement. This means that when you receive a book announcement from The LINGUIST List, you know that what is being advertised is hand-selected for our linguistic audience.

On the reviews end of my work, I have the opportunity to work for and with many of you in connecting you with publishers to review their publications, thus further ensuring that the publications which pass through our site are of the highest quality we can offer. This gives LINGUIST List the unique opportunity to connect and unite linguists from across the globe in an open forum of peer review and collaboration to shape the field of linguistics, effectively creating a global community of cooperation which is largely absent from many other fields of scientific inquiry. And in that, the field of linguistics and speakers of language (humankind) benefits immensely. I am honored to assist, in my small way, in facilitating such intradisciplinary coordination.

Beyond my work at LINGUIST List, I am a second-year doctoral student at Indiana University pursuing a PhD in Linguistics with a concentration in African languages and linguistics. Having lived in East Africa for several years, I have developed a love for the linguistic diversity present in Africa and consequently focus my research on the description of underdocumented and/or underresourced languages, particularly in Tanzania. My current research is with the Hadzabe people of north-central Tanzania and I will be heading to the field in mid-July. I am a serious language enthusiast (my wife would say obsessive) and I particularly enjoy phonology and morphology. It is not uncommon to often hear or see me making strange sounds to myself throughout the day as I think through some phonological issues in Hadza. It was really weird to my wife at first but I think she has gotten used to it at this point!

Speaking of my family, I have been married for four years now to my beautiful wife Lynzie and have two fantastic children. Our oldest, Ryker, is 2 1⁄2 years old and he recently got a little sister, Maiya, who is now just over a month old. My kids are the best and it is so much fun to get to see Ryker as he is acquiring language. There are many linguistic geek-out moments each day listening to him speak.

I would like to thank you, our readers, for all that you do for me and my family. You don’t know it but YOU are the reason why my kids are able to have a roof overhead and food in their stomachs. Many of you regularly donate to the LINGUIST List, which is wholly funded by your contributions, and thus are the reason why I have a Graduate Assistantship. When Lynzie and I began this crazy journey of graduate school, we had little more than the ambition to pursue a dream of studying the beautiful languages of Africa and trying to help the world in some small way. We moved to Bloomington, Indiana from Utah without any job or source of funding to pay from my studies. We didn’t know how we would pay for anything. But now, because of your support and contributions, I have a GA-ship with the LINGUIST List which covers my tuition costs and gives me enough money to feed my growing family. Please continue to support LINGUIST List as much as you are able because it does make a significant
difference in the life
of us, your fellow linguists.

Thank you again from Jeremy, Lynzie, Ryker and Maiya!

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: