29.990, LINGUIST List's 2018 Fund Drive is officially open!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 5 18:35:22 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-990. Mon Mar 05 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.990, LINGUIST List's 2018 Fund Drive is officially open!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 13:35:15
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Linguists,

The world seems to be  changing at a dramatic pace, perhaps faster than ever
before. It is not only about the technology, though to a large extent the
changes are technology-driven. AI is invading not only research labs, but also
our daily life. Facebook and other social media platforms have transformed the
way information is disseminated and how we validate the significance of what
we find out. The internet has re-defined our access to knowledge, not without
impact on higher education and academic life. The discipline of linguistics
has expanded as well, both in terms of the sheer numbers of people working on
languages but also in terms of the breadth of the topics and methods used..
Linguistics is nowadays in the forefront of the technological revolution with
respect to the way how people interact with computers and machines. In this
changing world, linguists world-wide, separated by geography, frameworks,
politics - have composed a community for almost 30 years, connected through
the LINGUIST List.

The mission of the LINGUIST List as a platform that connects linguists
globally is simply unique. Last year we published over 2,000 announcements
about conferences on six continents, we informed you about over 100 summer
schools and advertised close to 1,000 books in linguistics. We cut across
disciplines. We are a professional linguistic organization with a global
outreach that is not topic or language-area oriented. We provide verified
information, not fake news. We accompany linguists in their professional
journey and -  as the discipline and the world around us are changing - we
ourselves evolve. In the last couple of years we have expanded the number of
social media followers significantly, and added various new services that
enable new forms of communication and interaction for linguists. GeoLing
(https://geoling.linguistlist.org/), for example, is meant to focus on events
which are relevant locally and target primarily local communities. We are
working to improve search and customize our readers’ experience by tailoring
the contents we offer to our readers’ interests.  You can subscribe to the
most recent announcements on LINGUIST List using your Alexa App, and you can
select any combination of the specific posting areas. Finally, we are also
ready to roll out our new website https://new.linguistlist.org/, which is
visually more appealing, easier to navigate, and dynamically features  the
most important and current contents for your easy access.

If you want to support this global community of linguists, please consider
donating to the LINGUIST List. We want to continue serving you the best we can
but for that - we need your support. Please donate now; any amount is welcome.

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Faithfully,

Your LINGUIST List Team
Malgosia, Damir, Clare, Ken, Sara, Yiwen, Mike, Peace, Page, Helen, Robert