29.1028, Calls: Computational Linguistics/Bulgaria

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 6 22:50:59 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1028. Tue Mar 06 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1028, Calls: Computational Linguistics/Bulgaria

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 17:50:47
From: Irina Temnikova [irina.temnikova at gmail.com]
Subject: Workshop on NLP in the Era of Big Data, Deep Learning, and Post Truth

Full Title: Workshop on NLP in the Era of Big Data, Deep Learning, and Post Truth
Short Title: Esslli2018-NLP-Era

Date: 13-Aug-2018 - 17-Aug-2018
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Contact Person: Irina Temnikova
Meeting Email: irina.temnikova at gmail.com
Web Site: http://alt.qcri.org/esslli2018-nlp-era/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 16-Apr-2018

Meeting Description:

The workshop will be held during the whole second week of the 30th edition of
ESSLLI (European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information).

Recent years have seen fast advances of the field of Natural Language
Processing (NLP) due to the simultaneous influence of two revolutionary
forces: Big Data and Deep Learning. The aim of using large corpora has been
prominent in NLP since an earlier statistical, corpus-based revolution of the
1990s. Indeed, in corpus-based NLP size does matter, and researchers have been
exploring corpora as large as the entire Web; now this abundance of data has
enabled the return of Neural Networks and the rise of Deep Learning. More
recently, we have further seen the rise of Big Data with its 3Vs: Volume,
Velocity, and Variety. Even more recently, with the spread of fake news, it
has been suggested that a fourth V should be considered: Veracity.

The workshop welcomes work presenting new developments in applying NLP for
solving problems related to Big Data, Deep Learning, and Veracity. We also
invite discussion about the impact of these revolutionary forces on the field
of NLP as a whole.

Call for Papers:

The workshop invites extended abstracts related to but not limited to the
following topics:

- Big Data for NLP
- Web as a corpus
- Deep learning for NLP
- Automatic fact checking, stance detection, bias detection
- Multi-modality: combining NLP, speech, images, and/or video
- Cross-linguality
- Language varieties and dialect processing
- Work at the intersection of the above areas
- Position papers discussing the impact of the above on NLP

Extended abstracts should present original, unpublished research and/or
implementation results. We invite extended abstracts of up to two pages,
excluding references. All submissions will be electronic and in PDF format,
sent via the EasyChair system
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=esslli2018nlpera). Information about
the author(s) and other identifying information such as obvious
self-references (e.g., ''We have shown in [12]'') and financial or personal
acknowledgements should be omitted in the submitted abstracts whenever
feasible.

Submissions will be anonymous. Information about the author(s) and other
identifying information such as obvious self-references (e.g., ''We have shown
in [12]'') and financial or personal acknowledgements should be omitted in the
submitted abstracts whenever feasible.

Extended abstracts may contain a clearly marked appendix and data files to
support its claims.

Important Dates:

Abstract submission:  April 16, 2018
Author notification:  May 18, 2018
Camera-ready version: June 4, 2018

Deadlines are midnight Pacific Standard Time (UTC−8).