29.1078, Featured Staff: Kenneth Steimel

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 8 20:20:53 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1078. Thu Mar 08 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1078, Featured Staff: Kenneth Steimel

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 15:20:44
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Staff: Kenneth Steimel

Dear LINGUIST List subscribers,

My name is Kenneth Steimel and I am one of the 4 student editors here at the
LINGUIST List. I am a PhD student at Indiana University as well. I edit Calls
for Papers, Conferences, Media, Software, Queries, Notice Boards, People and
Ask-a-linguist. Working for the LINGUIST List has allowed me to pursue my
graduate studies. I am pursuing a PhD in Linguistics with an emphasis in
Computational Linguistics here at Indiana  University. I would not be able to
afford my degree without the support of this organization. Since subscribers
like you support the LINGUIST List, I am very thankful to all of you.

This is my second year on staff here at the LINGUIST List and I have been
given an exceptional opportunity to learn more about the field of Linguistics.
I had no idea that there were so many subdisciplines in Linguistics until I
started reading and editing all the conference submissions we receive. It's
encouraging knowing that there's so much communication about research going on
in the field of Linguistics.

I find the Queries section of the listserv particularly interesting since it
allows people to collect data and ask relevant questions to a large,
knowledgeable audience. There's research happening right on that board.
Sometimes these responses are encapsulated by the Query submitter in a Summary
post. Towards the end of last year, someone actually asked a Query that had
been asked 15 years ago. I was able to point them to the Summary post from all
that time ago. (Their question was also posted because answers also can change
after 15 years). It's awesome to me that we have this tradition of research
discussion that stretches back to our origins.

For this year's fund drive, we need your support again to continue to maintain
areas like Conferences and Queries. Without your donations, it becomes hard
for us to sustain the services we provide. If you think we provide a
meaningful service, please show your appreciation with a contribution at our
fund drive homepage (https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate). I know
everyone here greatly appreciates your donations. Without the support you
provide, we would not be able to support graduate assistants like myself who
read and edit each post to keep the quality of content high. Truly, thank you.

Your Call & Conference Editor
Kenneth Steimel