29.1128, Calls: Comp Ling, Gen Ling, Lexicography, Semantics, Syntax/Bulgaria

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 12 22:44:02 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1128. Mon Mar 12 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1128, Calls: Comp Ling, Gen Ling, Lexicography, Semantics, Syntax/Bulgaria

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 18:43:35
From: Timm Lichte [lichte at phil.hhu.de]
Subject: Ambiguity: Perspectives on Representation and Resolution

Full Title: Ambiguity: Perspectives on Representation and Resolution
Short Title: ARR

Date: 06-Aug-2018 - 10-Aug-2018
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Contact Person: Timm Lichte
Meeting Email: ambiguity2018 at phil.hhu.de
Web Site: https://ambiguity2018.phil.hhu.de

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics; Lexicography; Semantics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 02-Apr-2018

Meeting Description:

There are various approaches to ambiguity from a wide variety of perspectives.
This is due to the fact that ambiguity exists and arises on many different
levels of natural language. We want to bring together scholars working on
different aspects of ambiguity, in particular to approach the following
questions:

  1. What is the “core” of this phenomenon?
  2. What is the common ground in approaching the phenomenon?
  3. What can be gained by combining different approaches?

Our special focus is thus on bringing together approaches seeing ambiguity as
a mere computational problem and approaches seeing it as a linguistic
phenomenon with some interest in itself.

Invited Speakers:

Gemma Boleda (Universitat Pompeu Fabra)
Diego Valota (Università degli Studi di Milano)

2nd Call for Papers:

Workshop on Ambiguity: Perspectives on Representation and Resolution (ARR)

Workshop at ESSLLI 2018
August 6-10, 2018
https://ambiguity2018.phil.hhu.de

The conference invites extended abstracts related to themes including but not
limited to:

- The semantic content of ambiguity and its properties
- Disambiguation tasks
- Vector-based semantics, ambiguity and disambiguation
- Ambiguity as a syntactic and/or semantic phenomenon: differences and common
ground
- How much semantics is needed to handle ambiguity? Are simple contexts
sufficient?

These topics do not restrict the scope of contributions; actually we would
like to encourage a variety of submissions relating to any dimension of
ambiguity.

Important Dates:

April 02: Submission deadline
May 02: Notification
May 14: Camera-ready version

Deadlines are midnight Pacific Standard Time (UTC−8).

Submissions:

Extended abstracts should lay out original, unpublished research and/or
implementation results. We invite extended abstracts of 2 pages, excluding
references. All submissions are electronic and in PDF format via the EasyChair
system. Information about the author(s) and other identifying information such
as obvious self-references (e.g., “We showed in [12] …”) and financial or
personal acknowledgements should be omitted in the submitted abstracts
whenever feasible.

Extended abstracts may contain a clearly marked appendix and data files to
support its claims. While reviewers are urged to consult this extra material
for better comprehension, it is at their discretion whether they do so. Such
extra material should also be anonymized to the extent feasible.

Use the following link for submission:

https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=arr18

Special Issue:

Depending on number and quality of submissions, and interest of authors, we
plan to edit a special issue of worked out papers of contributions to the
workshop.

Contact:

Chairs & Organizers

Timm Lichte (Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf)
Christian Wurm (Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf)

Email: ambiguity2018 at phil dot hhu dot de

Further information about the conference is available at the website:
https://ambiguity2018.phil.hhu.de

          http://multitree.org/