29.1177, Books: Metonymy: Littlemore

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 15 18:04:16 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1177. Thu Mar 15 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1177, Books: Metonymy: Littlemore

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Michael Czerniakowski <mike at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:04:09
From: Louise Bowes [lbowes at cambridge.org]
Subject: Metonymy: Littlemore

Title: Metonymy
Subtitle: Hidden Shortcuts in Language, Thought and Communication
Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/cognitive-linguistics/metonymy-hidden-shortcuts-language-thought-and-communication

Author: Jeannette Littlemore

Paperback: ISBN:  9781108454162 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 29.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108454162 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 22.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108454162 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 26.83

Abstract:

Editor's Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced book.

'Metonymy' is a type of figurative language used in everyday conversation, a
form of shorthand that allows us to use our shared knowledge to communicate
with fewer words than we would otherwise need. 'I'll pencil you in' and 'let
me give you a hand' are both examples of metonymic language. Metonymy serves a
wide range of communicative functions, such as textual cohesion, humour,
irony, euphemism and hyperbole - all of which play a key role in the
development of language and discourse communities. Using authentic data
throughout, this book shows how metonymy operates, not just in language, but
also in gesture, sign language, art, music, film and advertising. It explores
the role of metonymy in cross-cultural communication, along with the
challenges it presents to language learners and translators. Ideal for
researchers and students in linguistics and literature, as well as teachers
and general readers interested in the art of communication.

Introduction
1. 'What those boys need is a good handbagging'. What is metonymy?
2. 'He coughed and spluttered a lot and sneezed his lunch all over the place'.
Types of metonymy and their behaviour in real-world data
3. 'He's only bowing to his passport'. Theoretical models of metonymy: uses
and drawbacks
4. ''BBC', her mother would have said'. What do people use metonymy for?
5. 'But what can we expect, after all, of a man who wears silk underpants?'.
Playful, evaluative and creative functions of metonymy
6. 'The Government of Britain is sort of there'. How can we identify
'metonymy'?
7. 'I found Robbie Williams in the lounge'. How is metonymy processed in the
mind?
8. 'He started as nobody from Austria'. Cross-linguistic and cross-cultural
variation in metonymy: implications for language learning and translation
9. 'These huts did absolutely unbelievable work'. What do we now know about
metonymy?

                     Pragmatics
                     Translation

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=125255

PUBLISHING PARTNER

    Cambridge University Press
        http://us.cambridge.org

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Akademie Verlag GmbH
        http://www.oldenbourg-verlag.de/akademie-verlag

    Bloomsbury Linguistics (formerly Continuum Linguistics)
        http://www.bloomsbury.com

    Brill
        http://www.brill.nl

    Cambridge Scholars Publishing
        http://www.c-s-p.org

    Cascadilla Press
        http://www.cascadilla.com/

    Classiques Garnier
        http://www.classiques-garnier.com/

    De Gruyter Mouton
        http://www.degruyter.com/

    Edinburgh University Press
        http://www.euppublishing.com

    Elsevier Ltd
        http://www.elsevier.com/

    Equinox Publishing Ltd
        http://www.equinoxpub.com/

    European Language Resources Association (ELRA)
        http://www.elra.info/

    Georgetown University Press
        http://www.press.georgetown.edu/

    John Benjamins
        http://www.benjamins.com/

    Lincom GmbH
        http://www.lincom-shop.eu/

    MIT Press
        http://mitpress.mit.edu/

    Multilingual Matters
        http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

    Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
        http://www.narr.de/

    Oxford University Press
        oup.com/us

    Palgrave Macmillan
        http://www.palgrave.com/

    Peter Lang AG
        http://www.peterlang.com/

    Rodopi
        http://www.rodopi.nl/

    Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
        http://www.routledge.com/

    Springer
        http://www.springer.com/

    University of Toronto Press
        http://www.utpjournals.com/

    Wiley-Blackwell
        http://www.wiley.com/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

    Association of Editors of the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics
        http://www.fl.ul.pt/revistas/JPL/JPLweb.htm

    International Pragmatics Assoc.
        http://ipra.ua.ac.be/

    Linguistic Association of Finland
        http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/

    Morgan & Claypool Publishers
        http://www.morganclaypool.com/

    Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke (LOT)
        http://www.lotpublications.nl/

    Seoul National University
        http://j-cs.org/index/index.php

    SIL International Publications