29.1190, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 15 20:59:45 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1190. Thu Mar 15 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1190, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:59:37
From: Silke Reineke [iiemca19 at ids-mannheim.de]
Subject: IIEMCA International Conference 2019

Full Title: IIEMCA International Conference 2019
Short Title: IIEMCA 2019

Date: 02-Jul-2019 - 05-Jul-2019
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Contact Person: Silke Reineke
Meeting Email: iiemca19 at ids-mannheim.de
Web Site: http://www.iiemca19.org/

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 27-Sep-2018

Meeting Description:

We are happy to announce that IIEMCA 2019 will take place July 2-5, 2019 at
Mannheim University (Germany).

The conference aims to bring together scholars from Ethnomethodology,
Conversation Analysis, Multimodal Interaction Analysis, Ethnography,
Phenomenology, Applied Conversation Analysis, Interactional Linguistics, and
further neighboring fields of research.

Thematically, the 2019 conference will be devoted to a core concept of EMCA:
'Practices'.

The proposal submission window will be around May 2018 - September 2018
(starting with panel proposals, followed by individual paper proposals).

The conference is organized by the Pragmatics Department at the Institute for
the German Language (IDS) in Mannheim and will be held at Mannheim University.

Looking forward to your contributions and to welcoming you in Mannheim,

Arnulf Deppermann, Silke Reineke, Axel Schmidt, Thomas Spranz-Fogasy (local
organizing committee)

Contact: iiemca19 at ids-mannheim.de

Call for Papers:

We call for submissions addressing topics in Ethnomethodology, Conversation
Analysis, Multimodal Interaction Analysis, Phenomenology, Interactional
Linguistics, and neighboring fields of research.

Conference theme: ''Practices''

Ethnomethodologists and conversation analysts have increasingly focused on the
study of social interaction as embodied practices. This turn has opened up new
perspectives on ethnomethods and the bodily and temporal organization of
social interaction. The last years have seen a wealth of flourishing empirical
research in this area. Still, major theoretical and methodological questions
are waiting to be solved.

We particularly invite papers on practices from an EMCA-perspective. The
following questions seem to be especially important to advance our
understanding of ''practices'':
Theory: What do we understand by ''practices''? What does a practice-based
perspective add to our understanding of actions and activities? (How) is the
flow of multimodal activities segmented into actions from a member's
perspective? In which ways do different multimodal resources contribute to
holistic meaningful social action?
Methodology: How do video-based research practices contribute to constitute
their object of research reflexively? How do we transcribe embodied conduct?
Which other ways of presenting data, analyses and findings about embodied
practices can be developed?

Submission instructions can be found at
http://www.iiemca19.org/participation/proposal_submission/ .

See iiemca19.org for more information on important dates and the conference.