29.1194, Summer Schools: MAPS (Multiple Approaches to the Perception of Speech)/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 15 21:31:19 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1194. Thu Mar 15 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1194, Summer Schools: MAPS (Multiple Approaches to the Perception of Speech)/Netherlands

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 17:31:10
From: Anita Wagner [a.wagner at umcg.nl]
Subject: MAPS (Multiple Approaches to the Perception of Speech)

MAPS (Multiple Approaches to the Perception of Speech)

Host Institution:
Website: https://www.rug.nl/education/summer-winter-schools/summer_schools_2018/maps/

Dates: 09-Jul-2018 - 13-Jul-2018
Location: Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands

Focus: The study of speech perception engages different disciplines, emphasizing its sensory, cognitive, or societal aspects. MAPS aims to promote and develop skills in conducting speech perception research combining multiple approaches.
Minimum Education Level: MA

Special Qualifications:
This summer school is intended for Research Master students, PhDs, MdPhD and practitioners with coursework or research experience with speech, hearing or language. Basic knowledge of cognitive psychology and neuroscience is recommended.

You don’t hear the difference between bad and bed? Rather than a hearing
problem, this is a problem of speech perception. During the MAPS summer
school, we will explore how our experience, language, age, social network and
physical environment shape our perception of speech. From a multi-disciplinary
perspective, we will look into how speech perception is sustained in cortical
and subcortical networks, how speech is coded (in the ear and in cochlear
implants), and how speech perception research can be designed to capture the
sensory, cognitive and social aspects of speech.

This summer school is intended for Research Master students, PhDs, MdPhD and
practitioners with coursework or research experience with speech, hearing or
language. Basic knowledge of cognitive psychology and neuroscience is
recommended.

Confirmed speakers:
- Prof. Anne Cutler
- Dr. Sam Evans
- Prof. Elia Formisano
- Prof. Sonja Kotz
- Dr. Shiri Lev-Ari
- Prof. Steven van de Par

Organizing committee (University of Groningen):
- Dr. Anita Wagner
- Dr. Terrin Tamati
- Dr. Simone Sprenger

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                      Cognitive Science
                      Neurolinguistics
                      Phonetics
                      Psycholinguistics

Tuition: 230 EUR

Tuition Explanation: The fee (€ 230) includes:
5 lunches
tea breaks
city tour + welcoming drinks
one dinner

Housing (7 nights, from Saturday 7 July 2018 to Saturday 14 July 2018, in an
international student house is available upon request for €245.

Registration: 12-Mar-2018 to 01-May-2018

Contact Person: Anita Wagner
                Email: a.wagner at umcg.nl

Apply by Email: maps2018 at rug.nl
Apply on the web: https://www.rug.nl/education/summer-winter-schools/summer_schools_2018/maps/application-information

Registration Instructions:
Please submit the following documents with your application:

CV
Motivation letter (about 500 words)
Abstract for poster presentation (200 words)