29.1200, Featured Staff Peace Han

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 15 23:32:16 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1200. Thu Mar 15 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1200, Featured Staff Peace Han

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:31:51
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Staff Peace Han

Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

This is Peace Han, one of the student programmers here at LINGUIST List. My
unofficial job title is “The new Lwin” :) I am in charge of managing the site,
making sure all the features of the LINGUIST List that you know and love are
functioning, and managing EasyAbs requests. I have never done any website
management before starting at LINGUIST List, so I sometimes take a while to
figure out how to handle some of your requests--thank you all for your
patience!

One of the most interesting parts of my job is reading the legacy of code that
makes LINGUIST List run. Much of the code was first written many years ago by
older graduate assistants who were passionate and dedicated to providing the
linguistics community with a reliable mailing list and web information
service. Over the years, the LINGUIST List website has been evolving and
continues to adapt as new updates and technologies are introduced. It’s a
great privilege to read and modify and even edit code that has existed since
even before I was born, and it’s always an adventure to try to figure out how
coding syntax (which can be just as complex as natural language syntax at
times!) has evolved over the years. The comments left by my predecessors in
the code are still more useful to me than the code itself, reminding me that
computers have a long way to go before they can catch up to human language,
and this is why I am so passionate about what the LINGUIST List does for
linguists around the world.

Outside of my job at the LINGUIST List, I am a student at Indiana University
in the Computational Linguistics, BS/MS joint degree program. The Linguistics
department at IU and the LINGUIST List both have been wonderful in supporting
me throughout my academic career at IU, and I would not be able to complete
the 5-year program without your support. I and all of my fellow student
graduate assistants working at the LINGUIST List are grateful for the chance
to support and give back to the linguistics community while also completing
our studies. Thank you again! If you think the LINGUIST List and the various
services it offers are valuable, as all of us at LL do, or if you are just
passionate about the dissemination of linguistic knowledge, please donate at
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org . We are all grateful for your support!

Best,
Peace Han