29.1245, Calls: Discourse Analysis/Taiwan

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 20 22:02:24 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1245. Tue Mar 20 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1245, Calls: Discourse Analysis/Taiwan

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 18:02:07
From: Cooren François [f.cooren at umontreal.ca]
Subject: International Association for Dialogue Analysis Conference

Full Title: International Association for Dialogue Analysis Conference
Short Title: IADA

Date: 25-Sep-2018 - 28-Sep-2018
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Contact Person: IADA Conference Organizers
Meeting Email: paper.iadaconference2018 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://iada-taiwan2018.pccu.edu.tw/bin/home.php

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Call Deadline: 16-Apr-2018

Meeting Description:

The 2018 International Association for Dialogue Analysis (IADA) conference
will be held from September 25-28, 2018 at the Chinese Culture University in
Taipei, Taiwan.

We now live in an environment where many of our dialogues and interactions are
facilitated, actualized, virtualized, augmented, or completed by and through
communication technologies and online platforms. Humans go online not only to
interact with other human beings, but also to interact with information and
data. In many contexts, we now achieve dialogical communication by integrating
technologies and information, using or creatively appropriating various
platforms (e.g. Castells, 2007; Dahlberg, 2007; Fuchs & Obrist, 2010,
Papacharissi, 2015).

We also come to a gradual realization that environments and technologies, be
they digital or analog, biological or mechanical, material or immaterial,
serve more than as surroundings or facilitating arrangements, but also as
participants in social-making activities when we pay attentions to their
agencies. Information and data are never neutral accumulation or mechanical
calculation but modern forms of storytelling with specific utterance positions
(Papacharissi, 2015). Contradictions and conflicts between technologies and
humans can thus be observed and documented throughout modern history from a
critical perspective (e.g. Fuchs & Obrist, 2010).

On the other hand, human agencies can also participate in and change the
identities of machines/technologies. To achieve higher (artificial)
intelligence, uncertainty, as one of the distinctive human traits, can be
incorporated into probability models, so that machines can acquire
self-learning abilities through interactions, allowing themselves to change
and evolve dialogically (Russell, 2014; Russel & Novig, 2014). Different
agencies with their different capabilities and structural positions create
different ways of relating and dialoguing, which leads to different degrees
and scopes of reflexivity and connectedness. By speaking to/through/with/for
other things and beings, we also allow ourselves to cross boundaries and
(re)establish dialectical continuities, historically and politically.

Call for Papers:

This conference encourages scholars to study what happens when we expand the
interlocutors of dialogue to non-humans (e.g. Butler, 2015; Caronia & Cooren,
2014; Haraway, 1991; Latour, 1987, 2005; Tannen, 2004) and more immaterial
forms of agency (Derrida, 1994) to see how our human existence, cultures, and
histories are/can be transformed when we relate to these participants. While
transformations and changes are inherent in the dia/logos process among
speaking subjects (e.g., Bohm, 1996), the heterogeneous interlocutors of our
(post-)modern days can provide and reveal greater possibilities, creativities,
and realized responsibilities once they are legitimized and included into
dialogues.

We welcome papers, proposals, and panels to theoretically and empirically
explore these possibilities through, but not limited to, the following
subthemes:

Dialogue and technology: dialogue through technologies, technologies through
dialogues, how dialogue (can) serve(s) as a mechanism in technologies (e.g.,
chatbot, AI), social media and mass self-communication;

Dialogue and memories: texts vs. oral culture, identities/histories/bodies vs.
documentation;

Dialogue and virtualities: interfaces/interactions between material and
immmaterial entities;

Dialogue and visibility: interaction and modes of seeing, performativity, data
visualization;

Dialogue as/with/for the others: animals and plants, things, the dead, the
unqualified, outside the boundaries;

Dialogue and hauntology: The detailed study of what or who is haunting
dialogues.

Deadline extension: April 16, 2018

Submission:

We invite abstracts (500 to 700 words) or extended abstracts (1, 000 to 1,500
words), including references. Any citation style is permitted (e.g., MLA, APA,
Chicago).

Each abstract should clearly indicate: how the contribution relates to the
theme of the conference; the specific phenomenon the contribution focuses on;
the theoretical framework, the research method(s), the empirical bases of the
study or the empirical illustration of the theoretical point(s).

Each submission should also provide the following information at the end of
the abstract:

1) 5-7 keywords of your study; and

2) specify one to two subthemes to which your abstract most fit (dialogue and
technology, dialogue and memories, dialogue and virtualities, dialogue and
visibility, dialogue as/with/for the others, dialogue and hauntology)

All the abstracts should be submitted to: iada2018taipei at gmail.com

Submission opens on Oct 25 2017, and closes on April 16 2018 at 23:59 Taipei
Time (GMT +8).

Notification of acceptance: End of April, 2018.

For details and instructions see the conference website page:

http://iada-taiwan2018.pccu.edu.tw/bin/home.php

We look forward to your contributions!

Publications:

Presenters are encouraged to submit full papers for publications after the
conference.

Under peer reviewing, a selection of the full papers will be published  in:

a special issue of  Language and Dialogue  or,

an edited volume of the Series of Dialogue Studies (Amsterdam/Philadelphia:
John Benjamin Press).

Contacts:

For any inquiry concerning the extended abstract/paper submission please
contact:

paper.iadaconference2018 at gmail.com