29.1307, Rising Stars: Meet Victoria Melgarejo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 23 19:23:41 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1307. Fri Mar 23 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1307, Rising Stars: Meet Victoria Melgarejo

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 15:23:21
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Rising Stars: Meet Victoria Melgarejo

 Dear Readers,

For several years, we have featured linguists with established careers and
interesting stories to tell. This year, we will also be highlighting “Rising
Stars” throughout our Fund Drive, undergraduates who were nominated by their
mentors for their exceptional interest in linguistics and eager participation
in the global community of language researchers.

Selected nominees were asked to share their view of the field of linguistics:
what topics they see emerging as important or especially interesting, what
role they see the field filling in the coming decades, and how they plan to
contribute. We hope you will enjoy the perspectives of these students, who
represent the bright future of our field.

Today, we are excited to share the perspective of Victoria Melgarejo, a senior
at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She has conducted several
research projects on bilingual classroom interaction, code-switching on
television, and language attitudes of monolingual and bilingual Latinx
persons.

We are constantly immersed in language whether we notice it or not. It is
present in everything from conversations, to signs, text, and speeches. As
linguists we love to think about the language that surrounds us as we go about
our lives. Today, with the rise in the use of social media platforms, I can
see the field of linguistics growing and expanding to focus on online
discourse. With millions of people making a footprint online it is interesting
and exciting to understand the different linguistic varieties and linguistic
practices that take place in this platform. Different communities of practice
utilize language online in unique and exciting ways, and I see this becoming a
hot area of interest in the near future. Younger generations are utilizing
social media platforms for activism, to spread information, and to build
communities. This is largely new, as just a couple years ago this was not the
case. As youth in America become more and more politically active online, I
believe that focusing on online youth political discourse will be an exciting
area of study.

Linguists are often conversing about language; however, it is imperative that
we analyze language and its ties to the larger social issues. I first became
interested in research in linguistics when I began reading about linguistics
as a tool to deconstruct and help fight some of the social issues of our
times. I was able to use my research to highlight and raise awareness to some
of the problems in our society that I felt needed to be discussed more.

Therefore, I believe it is important that we teach our students about
linguistic diversity in our classrooms, and as a society, that we learn to
appreciate diversity. I envision linguistics and language studies taking a
more active role socio-politically to solve current and future problems. I can
see linguists taking a central role on national debates because it is our duty
to analyze language in all different forms and contexts in order to advocate
for sociolinguistic justice. We need to denounce discrimination and injustices
because this is how we as linguists can contribute to improving our society.

Reading literature in the field of linguistics has allowed me to see where
research has focused and what needs to be researched more. I have conducted
research on translanguaging in the classroom, linguistic representation of
Latinxs in media and currently on the linguistic attitudes, biases, and
insecurities of bilingual and English-dominant Latinxs. My goal is to continue
my education this fall by pursuing a Ph.D. in Education in the Race,
Inequalities, and Language in Education program (RILE) at Stanford University.
I plan to keep contributing to the field of linguistics and in the community
of researchers by continuing my research in sociocultural linguistics. I am
interested in bilingualism and English Language Learners and I am passionate
to conduct innovative research in the way language is used in the classroom to
improve classroom participation and student achievement. My dream is to become
a full-time professor and researcher.

If you have a student who you believe is a “Rising Star” in linguistics, we
would love to hear about them! We are still accepting nominations for
exceptional young linguists. Please see the call for nominations for more
information: https://linguistlist.org/issues/29/29-831.html

If you have not yet–please visit our Fund Drive page to learn more about us
and why we need your help! The LINGUIST List relies on your generous donations
to continue it support of linguists around the world.

https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Gratefully,
The LINGUIST List Team