29.1345, Featured Linguist: Dafydd Gibbon

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 27 19:25:28 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1345. Tue Mar 27 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1345, Featured Linguist: Dafydd Gibbon

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 15:24:50
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Linguist: Dafydd Gibbon

 Dear subscribers,

We're happy to present to you our next Featured Linguist of the 2018 Fund
Drive: Dafydd Gibbon! Read his story and more on our fund drive webpage:

https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Looking back over many decades of passion for linguistics and phonetics, it
turns out that there are not as many steps as one might thing from a first
degree in literature and philology, emphasising structural, hermeneutic and
biographical methods, and thorough acquaintance with the history of the
Germanic languages from Indo-European to the 20th century, to research on
computational language documentation and computational phonetics, particularly
prosody, on the other.

For example, the rhymes and metrical patterns of lyrical poetry have been a
source of metaphors for terminology in phonology (for example 'metre',
'metrical phonology', 'iambic' and 'trochaic' stress patterns, 'rhyme',
'anacrusis') for a long time. And not only do the deep-to-surface rules of
generative and post-generative phonologies tend to mirror many of the sound
change rules of philology, the 'Junggrammatiker' of the late 19th and early
20th century were no slouches when it came to formal descriptive precision.
Ferdinand de Saussure, too, our semiotically oriented structural linguistic
grandfather figure, was most well-known in his time for his work on
Indo-European vowels and laryngeals. Leonard Bloomfield worked in remarkable
transdisciplinary environments: from philological studies in Göttingen to
cooperation with expat Vienna logician Rudolf Carnap in Chicago, whose
background in the Vienna circle of logicians and linguists links up with the
Prague school of linguistics, particularly Trubetzkoy's logical theory of
binary oppositions, and thus, via Roman Jakobson, linguist and literary
scholar, with late 20th century Bostonian linguistics. Optimality Theory, too,
is a practical application of set-constraining 'generate and test' pattern
matching search algorithms in computational linguistics and artificial
intelligence.

(...)

Read more:
https://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-dafydd-gibbon/

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
2018 Fund Drive. We really need your suppport!

https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Thank you all!

Gratefully yours,
The LINGUIST List Team