29.1870, Challenges Update... with a twist!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 3 05:24:31 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1870. Thu May 03 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1870, Challenges Update... with a twist!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 01:24:15
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Challenges Update... with a twist!

Challenges Update... with a twist!

Hello Linguists and Supporters! Today we thought that the challenges update
should highlight those who haven't been able to hold the spotlight yet, the
universities and subfields that are in 3rd place through 6th place--those who
are just shy of making it into the top!

Check to see if your university makes the list, and if they do, why not push
to break into the top three! And look here for the complete listings:
https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

So without further ado, here are the runner-ups in the challenges!

In Subfields:
Phonology takes fourth with $2064--not far behind third place holder
Sociolinguistics!
Semantics takes fifth with a total of $1753. Can Semantics overtake Phonology?
Historical Linguistics brings up sixth with $1368! Way to go Historical
Linguists!
Current overall leader (for now!): Syntax.

In Universities:
University of South Carolina comes in fourth with $705 from 8 donors! With
just a little push, they could catch up to Stanford and put themselves in the
top!
Arizona State University is close behind, with $540 from 3 donors.
The Ohio State University brings up fourth $313.00 from 7 donors.
Current leader: University of Washington... but not by too much!

In Regions:
Australia comes in fourth with 7 donors.
The Middle East comes in fifth with 5 donors.
South America comes in sixth with 4 donors. We are so grateful for our donors
all over the world! Thanks for being part of the work we do here!
Current leader: North America.

In countries:
Fourth place is currently held by the United Kingdom, with 17 donors--and it's
a slim enough margin to overtake current third place holder Canada in no time.
Austria started out as a frontrunner, and currently holds fifth place with 11
donors. Just a few more to retake your spot, Austria!
Italy comes in sixth with 8 donors... but it closely followed by Japan, the
Netherlands, and Spain, off of which are represented by 7 donots each!

The fund drive total currently stands at 62% of the goal, with $14,945 left to
go! If each of our users donated just $5, we would not only be done in a
heartbeat, but multiply it tenfold! Thanks for being with us the last 28 years
as we work to create and maintain a global linguistics community.

--The LL team

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: