29.1950, Featured Staff: Meet Yiwen

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue May 8 15:54:47 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1950. Tue May 08 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1950, Featured Staff: Meet Yiwen

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 08 May 2018 11:54:41
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Staff: Meet Yiwen

Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

This is Yiwen Zhang, a new-bee programmer at LINGUIST List. I’m one of the
student programmers that take care of the tech side after our wonderful Lwin
left (sadly!). My journey as a LINGUIST List staff member just started at the
beginning of this year, so right now I’m focusing on figuring out how
everything works, and thankfully I have been making progress!

One of my major tasks currently is to "renovate" the issues published on the
LINGUIST List website. As you have probably noticed, our website has
maintained a vintage 90s design for a while (which is rarely seen elsewhere
now!). This is a crucial part of our recent project to update our main website
so that it will provide a better user experience for our subscribers.  While
doing my job, I had a chance to look back to all those “historical” issues
published by the LINGUIST List that date all the way back to 1990. It is
amazing to look at the names of the linguists that have published information
from various fields of linguistics and how they represent generations of
linguistic research. Also, it makes me realized that the LINGUIST List has
been a platform that serves the community constantly in nearly 30 years, and
how important my job is to keep it in the way as it is for decades.

Aside from my job at the LINGUIST List, I am pursuing a Ph.D. degree in
general linguistics with a focus in Semantics and Chinese. I am lucky enough
to have support from the Linguistic department at Indiana University and the
LINGUIST List which largely facilitate my learning and research, and this
could not happen without your support. Thank you! All of our staff are really
grateful and we are working hard to sustain the services we provide to the
linguistic community.

For this year’s fund drive, your support is very much needed so that student
programmers and editors like me can be supported continually. If you think our
services are meaningful and valuable, please kindly contribute to our fund
drive. We will really appreciate your support!

https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

Best,
Yiwen

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site: