29.2015, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 10 17:03:33 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2015. Thu May 10 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2015, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 13:01:27
From: Mingya Liu [liu.mingya at uni-osnabrueck.de]
Subject: Concepts in Action: Representation, Learning, and Application

Full Title: Concepts in Action: Representation, Learning, and Application
Short Title: CARLA Workshop

Date: 11-Aug-2018 - 12-Aug-2018
Location: Osnabrück, Germany
Contact Person: Mingya Liu
Meeting Email: concepts at uni-osnabrueck.de
Web Site: https://www.conceptuccino.uni-osnabrueck.de/carla_workshop/carla_2018.html

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics

Call Deadline: 20-May-2018

Meeting Description:

The Institute of Cognitive Science at Osnabrück University
(https://cogsci.uni-osnabrueck.de) is happy to announce the summer school
“Concepts in Action: Representation, Learning, and Application” (CARLA),
funded by the Volkswagen Foundation, and a subsequent international workshop
on the same topic. Both the school participants and external researchers are
invited to submit abstracts to the workshop for oral or poster presentations.

The summer school will bring together researchers from different disciplines
with the goal of providing participants with knowledge about concept research
outside of their own fields and to initiate interdisciplinary exchanges and
research. The subsequent and co-located workshop provides an excellent
opportunity to present and discuss ongoing research on concepts. Both events
will focus on (but not be restricted to) three core questions: How can we
formally describe and model concepts? Where do concepts come from, and how are
they acquired? How are concepts used in cognitive tasks?

Invited speakers of the workshop:

Nicholas Asher (https://www.irit.fr/~Nicholas.Asher/)
Julie Hunter (http://www.juliejhunter.com/)
Christiane D. Fellbaum (https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~fellbaum/)
Peter Gärdenfors (http://www.fil.lu.se/en/person/PeterGardenfors)
Robert L. Goldstone (http://psych.indiana.edu/faculty/rgoldsto.php)
Michael Spranger (https://sites.google.com/view/michaelspranger/)

A detailed schedule of the workshop will be provided at our website
(https://www.conceptuccino.uni-osnabrueck.de/carla_workshop/carla_2018.html)
in July 2018.

Final Call for Papers:

''Concepts in Action: Representation, Learning, and Application'' (CARLA) is
an international workshop aimed at fostering interdisciplinary exchange about
research on concepts. It invites contributions from all fields related to
cognitive science, including (but not limited to) linguistics, artificial
intelligence, psychology, philosophy, logic, and computer science. Although
the workshop is open for research on any aspect of concepts, there exists a
set of core topics that are of special interest:

Representation: How can we formally describe and model concepts?
Learning: Where do concepts come from and how are they acquired?
Application: How are concepts used in cognitive tasks?

We invite the submission of extended abstracts (up to 500 words excluding
references) to https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=carlaws18 until May 20,
2018. We will send out acceptance notifications by May 31, 2018. Should you
have any questions, please contact us anytime at concepts at uni-osnabrueck.de.

Publication: We plan to invite a selection of presentations for publication
after the workshop.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: