29.2127, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics, Neurolinguistics, Psycholinguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 16 18:26:10 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2127. Wed May 16 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2127, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics, Neurolinguistics, Psycholinguistics/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 14:25:43
From: Tirthankar Dasgupta [iamtirthankar at gmail.com]
Subject: International Workshop on Language, Cognition and Computational Models

Full Title: International Workshop on Language, Cognition and Computational Models
Short Title: LCCM

Date: 20-Aug-2018 - 25-Aug-2018
Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
Contact Person: Manjira Sinha
Meeting Email: manjira87 at gmail.com
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/view/lccm2018/home

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 25-May-2018

Meeting Description:

Language as a communication tool is one of the key attributes of human
society. It is also what distinguishes human communication from most of the
other species. Language is, arguably, also what shapes our view of the world.
However, language is a complex and intricate tool developed and is
continuously evolving over thousands of years, influenced by usage,
demographics, and socio-cultural factors. The study of language communication,
comprehension and it's complex interaction with thought is a rapidly expanding
multi-disciplinary and challenging field of research. This growth comes from
both its domain and its interdisciplinary nature that confluences cognitive
science, computer science, neuroscience, linguistics, psycholinguistics,
psychology and many other fields. The development of increasingly
sophisticated tools are making it possible to studying different brain
activities. A plethora of works have been done studying the representation,
organization and processing of language in the human mind. Despite such huge
efforts, a coherent picture is yet to emerge. We are yet to go a long-way to
develop holistic computational models and make up for the scarcity of corpora
in variety of languages.

In addition, each language possess a beauty and uniqueness of its own, and
demands a customized approach to understand its intricate relationship with
speakers. We especially, encourage works in low resourced and less studied
languages and our workshop aims to provide a suitable platform to those less
articulated voices.

The goal of this workshop is to bring together researchers working in the
field of linguistics, cognitive science, computer science and the intersection
of these areas, together and provide a venue for the multidisciplinary
discussion of theoretical and practical research for computational models of
language and cognition. This knowledge does not only answer one of the primary
aspects of cognitive science, but also is useful for designing better NLP
systems based on the understood principles. The focus centres around recent
advances on cognitively motivated computational models for language
representation, organization, processing, acquisition, comprehension and
evolution. Given the lack of large standardized corpora for this area of
research, we are also interested in developing public data sets for the area
and various languages..

Call for Papers:

Theme and Topics:

We welcome papers and/or extended abstracts that investigate cognitively aware
computational models of language comprehension and processing. The area of
interests includes, but not restricted to:

- Theoretical and Computational Aspects on Language Acquisition, Comprehension
and Processing
- Second language Acquisition, Comprehension and Processing
- Language Comprehension Models for Low Resourced Language
- Mental Lexicon and its Organization
- Computational Psycholinguistics
- Computational Neurolinguistics
- Language and Brain
- Language and Thought
- Language Evolution
- Code-mixing
- Phonetics and Phonology
- Visual Word recognition
- Morphology and/or Syntax processing
- Discourse , Semantics, and Pragmatics
- Cognitive and computational models of speech and text processing
- Behavioral analysis from textual data.
- Cognitive psychology

We especially encourage empirical data-driven perspectives, as well as
interdisciplinary works connecting computational linguistics to other
disciplines within cognitive science.

Important Dates:

Paper submission due: May 22, 2018
Notification of acceptance: June 22, 2018
Camera ready copy due: July 7, 2017
Workshop date: August 20, 2017

Submission can be either of the two types:

- Regular Research Papers: These papers should report original research
results or significant case studies. They should be at most 6-9 pages
excluding references.
- Position Papers: The extended abstracts will present novel research
directions or identify challenging problems. They should be at most 5 pages
excluding references.

Submissions to be made at: www.softconf.com/coling2018/ws-LCCM1/

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: