29.2231, Fun Fact: Multitree Edition

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 23 15:24:06 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-2231. Wed May 23 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.2231, Fun Fact: Multitree Edition

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 11:23:49
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fun Fact: Multitree Edition

Hey everyone,

Ken here with another fun fact for our 2018 Fund Drive campaign. Did you know
that LINGUIST List maintains a number of different projects in addition to our
listserv, website and social media announcements? We host and maintain
projects like Multitree, LL-Map and Qenaga. Today, I'm going to be talking
about Multitree.

Multitree (http://new.multitree.org) is a searchable database of proposed
language family trees. Multitree was created by going through hundreds of
books and recording the proposed genetic relationships in those books. When
you search a language or language family, like Niger-Congo
(http://new.multitree.org/trees/id/14316), you get an interactive map where
you can expand nodes to dive further down a branch of the tree. You can also
view a citation for where this tree was taken from.

Multitree is a valuable resource for linguists like you and a fun, interactive
way to introduce students to language family trees. It facilitates
interdisciplinary collaboration with linguists to reach more accurate
conclusions about human language, culture, and history.

For more information on Multitree visit http://new.multitree.org/about and for
information on how to navigate Multitree and some of the advanced
functionality visit http://new.multitree.org/help.

If you appreciate services like Multitree that we continue to maintain and
support, please donate to our 2018 Funddrive campaign
(https://funddrive.linguistlist.org).

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: