29.4328, FYI: Online: Julius Fridriksson, Aphasia, Nov 8th

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 5 20:28:15 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4328. Mon Nov 05 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4328, FYI: Online: Julius Fridriksson, Aphasia, Nov 8th

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2018 15:26:52
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online: Julius Fridriksson, Aphasia, Nov 8th

Thursday, November 8th, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Biographical, behavioral, and neurological predictors of aphasia treatment
outcome
Julius Fridriksson, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
University of South Carolina

A recent paper by Breitenstein and colleagues (2017, Lancet) provided strong
evidence that aphasia treatment is effective for improving language processing
and quality of life in persons with chronic aphasia caused by stroke. Although
aphasia therapy has been dispensed in clinical settings for several decades,
the results by Breitenstein et al are probably the first to provide Level I
evidence that can be used to argue for the effectiveness of aphasia treatment.
However, it is well known that response to aphasia treatment varies widely
across individuals. A few studies have examined what factors in acute patients
predict long-term recovery from aphasia and even less data are available on
what factors predict response to aphasia treatment. Given that not all
individuals respond to aphasia treatment, it is paramount to identify factors
that can be used in the clinical setting to estimate who is a good or poor
treatment candidate. In this lecture, I will report some recent findings from
C-STAR regarding different baseline predictors of aphasia treatment response.
In addition, I will take this opportunity to discuss current progress in
aphasia treatment and areas where I think we can improve.
This lecture will be held at the University of South Carolina:
Room 140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, November 8th, Time: 2pm – 3pm Eastern Time

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session:
https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/get-ready

More information
Dirk-Bart den Ouden, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, University of South Carolina
Tel. 803-777-9241 (office) | Email: denouden at sc.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: