29.4339, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, George Mason University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 6 15:11:37 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4339. Tue Nov 06 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4339, Jobs:  Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, George Mason University

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 10:11:16
From: Mary Baldwin [mbaldwi4 at gmu.edu]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, George Mason University, Virginia, USA

University or Organization: George Mason University
Department: Linguistics Program - English Department
Job Location: Virginia, USA
Web Address: https://linguistics.gmu.edu/
Job Title: Assistant Professor, Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Syntax; Semantics; Language Acquisition

Assistant Professor, Computational Linguistics
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary
documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening.
To apply for the position, please see the application link provided below.

The George Mason University Linguistics Program of the Department of English
invites applications for a nine-month, tenure track Assistant Professor
position in Computational Linguistics. We seek applicants with a strong record
of research and teaching in some area of computational linguistics, whose
interests complement the strengths of our program. Candidates will teach in
the Linguistics Program beginning Fall 2019. Candidates should be prepared to
teach courses in computational linguistics and in at least one subfield of
theoretical linguistics at the graduate and undergraduate level.

George Mason’s linguistic program offers the only Ph.D. in linguistics in
Virginia. At the graduate level, the program also has an M.A. in English with
a Linguistics Concentration and a graduate certificate in Teaching English as
a Second Language. For undergraduates, the program has an undergraduate
concentration in linguistics in the English Major as well as Minors in
Linguistics and Teaching English as a Second Language. These programs prepare
our students for various careers requiring linguistic expertise.

George Mason University is Virginia’s largest public research university, with
an R-1 rating and is committed to keeping our doors open and accessible to as
many capable students as possible. Mason was recently named the most diverse
university in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report. Our students represent all
races, ethnicities, nationalities, religions, sexual orientation and gender
identities and hail from over 130 countries. We are devoted to providing
access to excellence, and that sets us apart from many of our peers. In a
continuing effort to enrich GMU’s academic environment and provide equal
educational and employment opportunities, we actively encourage applications
from members of all groups underrepresented in higher education.

Please visit the department link above for more information about the
linguistics program and http://english.gmu.edu for more information about the
department.

Required Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in linguistics, computational linguistics, or a closely related field,
with evidence of completion by August 2019
- Commitment to exceptional research in computational linguistics
- Record of innovative and dynamic teaching
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in research and teaching

Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated expertise in any one of a broad array of computational
linguistic topics
- Subspecialization in any one of the following: phonology, syntax, semantics,
or language acquisition.

Required Documents:
- Cover Letter
- CV
- List of Professional References
- Writing Sample
- Brief candidate statement about commitment to diversity and inclusion

Completed applications must be received by December 15, 2018. The initial
round of online interviews will occur in mid-January, 2019.

Application Deadline: 15-Dec-2018

Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.gmu.edu/postings/44198
Contact Information:
	Director of Linguistics Douglas Wulf