29.4403, Confs: Syntax/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 8 23:28:09 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4403. Thu Nov 08 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4403, Confs: Syntax/USA

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2018 18:27:49
From: Laura Kalin [lkalin at princeton.edu]
Subject: Princeton Symposium on Syntactic Theory 2019

Princeton Symposium on Syntactic Theory 2019
Short Title: PSST 2019

Date: 05-Apr-2019 - 06-Apr-2019
Location: Princeton, NJ, USA
Contact: Laura Kalin
Contact Email: psst at princeton.edu
Meeting URL: http://linguistics.princeton.edu/psst/psst-2019/

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Meeting Description:

The theme for the 2nd Princeton Symposium on Syntactic Theory (PSST 2019) is
“counterexamples”. This workshop will feature talks about approaching and
analyzing syntactic data (or data at the interfaces with syntax) that appear
to be counterexamples in some way, i.e., the data is exceptional within the
context of (i) otherwise robust patterns in a particular language or language
family, (ii) proposed crosslinguistic generalizations, and/or (iii) the
predictions of a certain theory. The following general questions will guide
our workshop:

a) How do we, as linguists doing empirical work, identify counterexamples as
such? How should we analytically approach (apparent) counterexamples?

b) What is the status of the notion of a “counterexample” in theories of
grammar? How (if at all) does the grammar identify an exception as such?

c) What sorts of grammatical and/or theoretical machinery can/should we use to
analyze counterexamples?

d) How do we decide when a counterexample should be treated as an exception as
opposed to an indication that a theory or generalization is wrong or requires
revision?

e) What can counterexamples (both from specific case studies and more broadly
speaking) teach us about syntax and its interfaces?

In our work as linguists, we inevitably make choices that reflect our own
answers to these questions, but these answers are often left implicit (or
unclear, perhaps even to ourselves). We hope to engender fruitful discussions
about theoretical and empirical issues around these (and related) questions,
which we believe are relevant to all the work we do as linguists.

On Friday April 5, the workshop will run from 1:30pm to 6pm, and on Saturday
April 6, 9am to 5pm. Saturday evening, all attendees are invited to join us
for drinks and hors d'oeuvres following the workshop. PSST will run
concurrently with the inaugural meeting of the Princeton Phonology Forum
(PɸF).

Registration is free, but we would appreciate it if those who are planning to
attend would complete the following registration form by March 20, 2019:
https://goo.gl/forms/cLDBd1J5d0cJF3oQ2

The schedule, as well as information about transportation, the workshop
location, etc., will all be posted on the workshop website:
https://linguistics.princeton.edu/psst/psst-2019

Invited speakers for PSST 2019:

Vrinda Chidambaram
Sandy Chung